lightweight flywheel dose it do anything to the power

Spoonz

Member +
Hey just havin a chat with a mate and was wondering will a lightweight flywheel creat less flywheel power? has hes thinking of gettin one fitted and was just curious, oviously its befifical to the overal performance of the car but was just wondering about the power figure

Spoonz

Member +
what has in it will increase or decrese the power.
its not like important has it wont get fitted if it creates less power has thats not its purpose but just a general question really of will it producce more or less power on a dyno over a standard flywheel

Mike_ep91

Member +
all lightened flywheels help with is the revving of the car, a lightweight one will make the car rev that bit quicker, dont think it will increase power to be honest, will just help ya get there somewhat quicker. i open to correction though.

Mike

Spoonz

Member +
see thats what i thought i kinda new it wouldnt produce more power (well this is what i belive) but just wondered if it would create less fly wheel power who knows lmao

Fro

Member +
all lightened flywheels help with is the revving of the car, a lightweight one will make the car rev that bit quicker, dont think it will increase power to be honest, will just help ya get there somewhat quicker. i open to correction though.

Mike

That was my understanding too, i wouldnt have thought it would effect bhp??

Spoonz

Member +
no ive just been informed that it effects torque i knew i read somewhere if effected something

GTti

Member +
Engine torque is measured at the leading edge of the flywheel. Because the flywheel is reduced in weight the torque is reduced slightly. Nothing noticable!

A lighter flywheel is a reduction of rotational mass, so the engine can rev quicker because there is less resistance working against it.

The engine will also reduce its revs at a faster rate when you're off of the accelerator.

Good modification, as is any reduction of dead weight.

GTti

Member +
No, I doubt you'll notice it at all, even on a dyno.

Go for a lightened flywheel, it's one of the best performance for value modifications you can make.