Linux OS on notebook pc

Big_Daddy

Member +
I always wanted those small notebook pc, but the bad think they com with Linux operating system, for the price they come with good hardware spec, but i want to put xp on to it. They come with atom processors, any idea if they can handle xp pro/home?
I just want it for surfing the net, music and diagnostic purposes. wont running complex has on it.

Dave.

Member +
The EEEPC Asus things?

Some do come with Windows, and I've seen many at uni (I do Computer science lol...) with both Windows and Linux as a dual boot setup.

Check this link out:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=21&t=1979

It'll vary slightly for different models, but its perfectly doable :)

*edit* Also, google for

Code:
EEEPC OR "EEE PC" windows

or even

Code:
EEEPC OR "EEE PC" windows install

There is loads out there about it :) (copy and paste the contents of each box into google)

Dave

Last edited:

Big_Daddy

Member +
The EEEPC Asus things?

Some do come with Windows, and I've seen many at uni (I do Computer science lol...) with both Windows and Linux as a dual boot setup.

Check this link out:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=21&t=1979

It'll vary slightly for different models, but its perfectly doable :)

*edit* Also, google for

Code:
EEEPC OR "EEE PC" windows

or even

Code:
EEEPC OR "EEE PC" windows install

There is loads out there about it :) (copy and paste the contents of each box into google)

Dave

Yeh some models dont come with xp, plus i think its cheaper to get linux and tranfer xp on to it.

Dave.

Member +
Sure is, I was just highlighting it incase you didn't notice :)

I guess, in answer to your question:

They'll work no bother with XP once you install it :)

Dave

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
i know its totally irrelevent but ffs dave i keep looking at ur sig waiting for something to happen & those damn birds keep going round n round... so tell me does anything actually happen?! lol.. :homer:

yes im nuts :rolleys:

Dave.

Member +
LOL!

Nope :)

They just go round and round and round :p Looks a bit wierd though, like 3D or something.

Pretty cool imo :rockon:

Dave

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
lol it is pretty cool lol.. but seriously its like waaaaaaaaaa... let something happen lol!!

haha its class dude :D

gv1.3

Admin
ah ;)

you can get some windows emulators for linux which might be easier than running a dual boot machine or doing a OS reinstall. I like the idea of keeping these machines simple and light on resources as thats what makes them a good alternative to a normal laptop.

There are also some UMPC's out there that come with windows which you might want to have a look at and things like the flybook etc.

Even some of the Dell machines like the d400 series are nice and portable, my d420 had the integrated hsdpa modem which was a real plus if you are travelling and need internet access.

gv1.3

Admin
For me modem is out dated, it must have wifi or bluetooth connection. Hate dial up!

HSDPA modem is a mobile modem that uses an embedded sim card to make a HSDPA (3G evolution) connection to the Internet... its like mobile broadband... its deffinately not like dialup lol - dont think I could handle dialup

Yeah im getting one of them Asus EEE-PC for lab equipment in work :p
I would agree with Dylan on this to try and keep Linux as the system will run ALOT more smoother.
What diags software you running have you checked to see if you can program them to work with Linux??
The Latitude D400 series are very light also and small. They run XP perfect never had a problem with one yet, well built machines. Also you can take NBD warranty with Dell so if your system is faulty you get an engineer to your house or work the next day, what more could you want:haha:

I used that 3 mobile broadband also and it is very handy however I did find it quite slow.
Christy

Big_Daddy

Member +
Yeah im getting one of them Asus EEE-PC for lab equipment in work :p
I would agree with Dylan on this to try and keep Linux as the system will run ALOT more smoother.
What diags software you running have you checked to see if you can program them to work with Linux??
The Latitude D400 series are very light also and small. They run XP perfect never had a problem with one yet, well built machines. Also you can take NBD warranty with Dell so if your system is faulty you get an engineer to your house or work the next day, what more could you want:haha:

I used that 3 mobile broadband also and it is very handy however I did find it quite slow.
Christy
]

Ive check, Vag.com diagnosic is xp compatible only. want something small as possible, want it to be smaller than a laptop. I wont be using mobile broadband, as long it has wifi and connect to my existing network. im happy.

Big_Daddy

Member +
what about a flybook or umpc?

Im liking this.

htc_umpc-shift.jpg

Wonder whats the retail on thses :)