Lots of fumes out of exhaust when shifting?

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Hi TGTT community.

So I bought a EP82 the other day, it was pretty cheap in comparison to other cars for sale with the same amount of modifications. Went to pick it up and gave it a little test spin and it drove well. Bought the car and got my dad to drive it back for me (as I wasnt covered or insured at that time) and I noticed as I was following him that there seemed to be large amounts of fumes being chucked at the back temporarily, when reaching boost and changing gear and it smelt aweful!. Sometimes the fumes appeared to be really dark, othertimes really light.

I'm guessing this isnt natural, but im not a mechanic and the people i know arent familiar with these cars as they're imported so I'm wondering whats up?

I had a look under the hood and the car seemed to be spitting out oil. One of my friends who owns a EP82 said he had the same problem and he gave me an oil catch can and told me to buy 2 filters and some silicon hose, but didnt go into great detail in how to remedy the problem, any help guys?

Edit: When the car is ideling or not boosting it appears to be normal. Only when boosting and shifting, or boosting and slowing down does the car chuck out lots of fumes.

Gtstu

Member +
mhmm so you have oil coming from the breather?i would get a compression test done to rule out anything major.

does it missfire at all? oil coming from dump valve isn normal!.. sounds like worn rings or cracked piston! or could be turbo/oil seals

ruggiero06

Member +
Hi TGTT community.

So I bought a EP82 the other day, it was pretty cheap in comparison to other cars for sale with the same amount of modifications. Went to pick it up and gave it a little test spin and it drove well. Bought the car and got my dad to drive it back for me (as I wasnt covered or insured at that time) and I noticed as I was following him that there seemed to be large amounts of fumes being chucked at the back temporarily, when reaching boost and changing gear and it smelt aweful!. Sometimes the fumes appeared to be really dark, othertimes really light.

I'm guessing this isnt natural, but im not a mechanic and the people i know arent familiar with these cars as they're imported so I'm wondering whats up?

I had a look under the hood and the car seemed to be spitting out oil. One of my friends who owns a EP82 said he had the same problem and he gave me an oil catch can and told me to buy 2 filters and some silicon hose, but didnt go into great detail in how to remedy the problem, any help guys?

Edit: When the car is ideling or not boosting it appears to be normal. Only when boosting and shifting, or boosting and slowing down does the car chuck out lots of fumes.

hmmm theres probbly a reason the guy was selling it so cheap.

compression check. check the oil too see if theres any water in there with the oil. check your coolant to see if theres any oil in the coolant. warm the car up and pull out the dipstick and look for oil steam coming from the dipstick hole. if all of this checks out good then you covered most major problems.

what color is the smoke, black, white, blue. black means ur burning oil, could be from the turbo seals since it only happens whe boosting. if its white then it could be the head gasket. if its blue thats valve stem seals which can be tricky to do but you wouldnt have to take the head off making it the easiest to fix.

a good way to check if its the turbo is to take off the metal pipe going from the turbo to the intercooler and run the car. rev it and if the turbo starts blowing out smoke then its definately ur turbo seals.

rep apprecaited :]

just for the sake of it, a slight oil spray from dump valve is normal (only if its like a spray as i said not like oil pouring out as that could result in damaged ring/piston)

Schism

Fresh Recruit
Come to mention it, oil is pouring from the dump valve and the fumes vary. Sometimes the fumes look normal (albeit it there is alot) and on odd occasions its really dark

Schism

Fresh Recruit
The car is off the road at the moment! (having a little insurance trouble) so its not going anywhere soon. I'll shoot with the compression test, but being of my nature I have no idea how to run this.

Any idea how much it would cost to get one done at the garage?

Edit: Also if I thrash and reach a fairly high speed and let the car slow itself down it blasts tones of fumes out (without changing any gears!). Does put things into a different perspective?

Last edited: