Lots of Smoke on off Boost!!???

Tony Harrison

Member +
Well guys heres the story;

I have put on a turbo that had a larger intake compressor wheel, I bought it willingly knowing it was OK on the blokes word. I got it, and it looked well, no play in shaft up or down, nor laterally (side to side), but there was oil reidue on the exhaust side. I queried this to myself think have the seals gone, and had a good look around it (from what I could), then came to the idea that it had just been because of the oil feed had been taken off so it ran everywhere.

It has been bolted up to a JAM mani, brand new gaskets etc everywhere, and the HKS actuator was set to 0.5bar just for running sakes before i get it MOTd and then off to Noble M/Sport for a safe tune. When i first started it, thats all i did, just let it warm up on the spot, to make sure everything was tight, no leaks etc, there was a bit of smoke/vapour of a whiteish colour but soon turned to nothing after the auto choke had finished.

Right, today I let it warm up fully, and took it for a spin around the local village to see what bar was running, and that it was ok. WELL, I noticed that inbetween gears, when I planted the right foot and when you rev up to say 5K and let the revs drops for a corner there was amounts shall we say, of smoke in the rear view mirror, what colour i dont know, but you had to be blind to miss it. When drivin normally its ok, nothing, when i got it home, let it sit on drive for a while to cool, there was no smoke then a little tiny-cold-start-like vapour.

It did do the whole plume of smoke in high revs off gas before on my standard ct9 but very rarely and had that only set at 0.8-0.9bar. I have also an Aftermarket Watanabe ECU, FMIC, decat, Buddyclub spec II, and the turbo has no filter, but it is shielded by a cold air feed.

I would like to add also that the exhaust side of my ct9 was a whiteish colour, not sooty and black.

Anybody know what could be the cause?

I have £££ sat in my account, and would like to know if its Engine, Stem seals, turbo etc to get it sorted.

Please help me guys in the know.

Major rep awaiting, Cheers, Tyler.

kieran.s gt

Member +
was there any smoke before u fitted the turbo did u prime the turbo
smoke on deacceleration usually is valve stem seals

Rory

Lifer
If its only happening on the over run, then i would say either of the following.

White smoke - Headgasket ( This happend to me)
Blue smoke - Either valve stem seals or possibly the turbo seals.

To check the valve stems seals have gone, whip the manifold off the head, in the ports should lie oil. If not then its possibly the turbo.
To check the seals on the turbo, whip the down pipe off, oil in the exhaust housing indicates the turbo seals have gone.

For the headgasket, either have a compresion test done or a sniffer test done.

ut until you know the colour of the smoke, you cant start fixing the problem.

Rory

A

Animal GT

so basically u put a ct9 hybrid on yea!!?? wel if it was oily round the exaust side, wel then that sujests to me the seals on the turbo are fecked.. wat colour was the smoke doh???blue,black,white???

Tony Harrison

Member +
When i had the mani off PRIOR to fitting it, it was just normal black, not oily.

And my oil is defo NOT creamy nor am I loosing coolant.

The colour on tickover before i went for a drive was white, defo not a blue, but i couldnt tell ya the colour when i was drivng because i have a tinted rear window lol, i just know there was smoke.

I will check the downpipe tomoro for oily substance, and if its dry then would it be the engine?

Many Thanks guys

Tony Harrison

Member +
O and it is a ct9 hybrid of sorts, just with a larger intake, and it was used b4 i got it, so i didnt think that priming would be an issue.

GTdan

In The Closet
mines exactly the same as yours - ct9 hybrid with same symptons, dont boot it, its fine but as soon as you go over .6 bar, lift off wait along time, or immediatley put foot down, smoke out of exhaust.
It seemed to stop but started doing it again - mines sort of blueish.

If i whip the decat off, and there is oil in there, could this be possibly from the stem seals ans has run down? or only from the turbo seals?

Tony Harrison

Member +
Wa just thinking, also, if i had this prob on the original ct9, would that not lead to stem seals? As I said the exhaust side on the original ct9 was dry and of a white colour so defo not oil on that side and that turbo had play on the shaft. The one i have now does not have play.

The Engine has done 134,000 kms which is about 80,000+ ms.

Tony Harrison

Member +
Well it wasnt when i first bought it but overtime it had. I firtst noticed it about August time, so maybe it is just wear on the engine? I will have a look at the Exhaust side of turbo tomoro for oil reisdue, and if there is none would it be safe to say it would be the stem seals??

Tony Harrison

Member +
Just been talking to ma Dad, and it seems that it would the Stems.

If im driving and then shut off the acceleration @ say 5,000rpm then with the butterfly shut then the engine would try to drag air in from the easiest place right? so if the seals were worn, this would be the easiest place would it not? Through the valve into the head/rocker area, then draw in oil, thus a cloud of smoke on deceleration?

I would change the turbover again but i know it did it with the original standard ct9 on, just not as much.

I only have a breather filter on my rocker cover would that make a difference? Of course i also have the PVC b4 anyone asks haha.

Starbus

Member +
99% turbo, boot it so you come on boost lift off then it'l smoke, if the engines cooler you'll have to blip the throttle to see the smoke.

Most probably the thrust race (in out play) or rear exhaust seal. I'd say thrust race caused by running 2 much boost.

profane

Member +
id also say something similar. if its off boost or while decelerating and it smokes, then its most probably turbo (seal).

im suffering the same thing actually. mine is on deceleration.

GTnomez

Member +
well the seller said he hadnt tested it and it would of needed a rebiuld due to the excessive oil on the exhaust side. so it just may be the turbo

profane

Member +
why dont u unbolt the turbo and remove from mani. and then start engine run it and see if oil comes out of the exhaust manifold.

this would confirm if it really is the turbo.

EH@B

Member +
im sure its turbo mate
as i was have exactly ur problem
and it was turbo seals gone :(
i did one thing to be sure that my turbo is smoking as i dont need it
i blocked the oil feeder
and drove it hard for 5 mins with coolent feeder only untill turbo die
no smoke !!!!!!!!
when stopped few smoke come out >>>> burnt oil inside the turbo went out
now the car in the garage fittting somthing more interesting :D

stedee

Member +
i would say tubby aswell, just on a note alot of ppl suggest valve seals, i know its the same symptoms as tubby gone but are they a common thing to go, ive heard lots of suggestions about valve seals but never heard anyone actually have that problem

Tony Harrison

Member +
So out of X amount of posts people think it is the Stem Seals. And people think its the Turbo??

Would it still be the turbo even if there was NOT any shaft play up/down nor side to side, as stated in the other posts iv written?

If it was to be the turbo, then why would it not emitt smoke all the time when driving. I can understand the theory of it being the worm Stem Seals drawing in oil mist from the head when and intake is closed, but I would of thought the if the turbo seals have shot then it would burn all the time??

Cheers

Tyler