LSD - Advice needed on purchase from 3 main types

mctagart

Member +
I am going to buy an LSD for my car this month, car is aimed at 90% track time so road handling doesnt really bother me, after relentless reading of the forums I have come down to 3 main possibilities.

1. Stock LSD box and shafts, sell my excellent condition gearbox and put a (this seems to be the chepest option) as i'll get a few hundred for my stock box on ebay. What are these like on track, are they any good?

2. A Cusco LSD, have heard awful problems with clunkyness on these and driveability issues when going slow. Although on the other side there supposed to be really good when giving it full beans!

3. A Quaife LSD, the most expensive, but the helical is really selling to me due to the lack of friction plates, no clunkyness at all and general smooth geared operation.

Now which one do i get, if you had to get one of the three which one would you? Bearing in mind im going to be on track 90% of the time and probably only do a bit of runnin around in it when i fancy a blast on the roads as i have another car :)

Which ever one will give me the best handling/track performance let me know

Cheers

Craig
Swansea

Last edited:

madman

Member +
i have a cusco and cannot fault it bar the clunkiness but you get over that specially with a good bed in and good oil it aint that bad plus you get used to it and its only when going really slow so on track you shouldn't notice it tbh.

mctagart

Member +
and another thing, people who did fit one after not having one, was there a notiable difference in performance on track in delivering power in the corners as aposed to not having one?

corofin12345

Member +
the power coming out of the corners and on straights is way different.. puts all the power down.. a good 1.5 lsd would be the best id say for conering

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
quaiffe are very good in the corners not so much when driving hard in straight lines , i drove a starlet with a quaiffe recently and didnt like it pulled me all over the road swapping power between the front wheels:)

weakboy2

Member +
agreed you can pick one up brand new from demon tweeks for a good price. quaife is ok but as popsy says, they arent great in a straight line and can be annoying.

i swapped mine for a trd 1.5 (apparently similar/the same/made by kaaz) and its soo goood for traction, you just gotta have a good grip on the steering wheel lol