lsd options

bullet

Member +
hi guys, im building up my glanza to be fairly high powered for track use and drag use with some small use on the roads (not worried about comfort)

what options are out there for lsd's?
what are the differences between each?
how much am i looking at spending?
what is reckonmended for my use?

(did a seach but couldnt find what im looking for)

thanks
alan

Recently done a lot of reading on this myself, here is what I understand of it.

There are 2 types helical or clutch/plate type.

The helical will be amazing in the bends and pull you right round the corner but under hard acceleration in a straight line it will cause you to move across the road from side to side ALOT and will do it more so the more power you are putting down.
a brief explanation of how a helical works here;
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26504&highlight=lsd+diff

the main helical types used in starlets are the Quaiffe and the TRD although the helical TRD LSD is now discontinued.
A helical requires very little maintenance hence the quaiffe lifetime gaurantee.
The helical would probably be best for track use.
The helical sends the power to he wheel of list resistance(I think) which means when going round a corner for instance it will transfer the torque to the outside wheel, this can cause problems however when driving on an uneven surface for instance(country roads)

The three makers of plate diffs for ep's are KAAZ, TRD(mechanical and still in production) and cusco

A plate type diff comes in 3 forms, 1 way, 1.5way and 2 way.
A one way locks the wheels when under acceleration only.
A two way equally locks under acceleration and braking (can cause understeer when braking etc)
A 1.5 way is the best of best worlds as far as I understand it as it gives full lock under acceleration and partial lock under braking which helps to minimise any understeer.
An explanation of a plate type here;
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26496&highlight=lsd+diff

Plate type's are notorious for lots of knocking whie slowly turning corners, the cusco one moreso than the KAAZ and TRD diffs. The knocking can be minimised if not completly got rid of by;
1. Using the right sort of oil with the correct friction modifiers
2. Breaking the LSD in correctly on first use.

the Plate type diffs require regular oil changes to prolong their life.

Why is break-in important?

When the LSD comes from the factory, it has been thoroughly washed, but some metallic dust and dirt particles may still exist in between the clutch plates. Applying too much torque when the unit is new could cause damage to the clutch plates and may result in plates forming an angle fit. Once these plates form an angle fit, the LSD is unable to function at 100% efficiency and the life of the LSD, is shortened.

Once the break-in is done properly and the clutch plates form a perfect fit, not only will the LSD be functioning at 100% efficiency but the lifetime of the unit will be prolonged. It’s similar in effect to wearing in brake pads.

Information about the break in is found in the instruction booklet that comes with each unit. Please follow the instructions that come with each unit carefully. After the initial break-in procedure, the LSD oil must be changed. If you examine the discarded oil after breaking in the LSD, you will notice it contains metallic particles from the rubbing of the plates during break-in.
How do I break in my Kaaz Limited Slip Differential ( LSD ) ?

We understand that the chattering noise can be of concern. But correct break-in of the LSD should fix it in most cases.

The best way to break in the LSD, and remove the chattering noise is by driving in a “figure of 8” pattern as shown below. The break-in should last between 30-45 minutes and during this time the aim is to try to allow the plates to rub against each other within the LSD, but without applying lock in the corners. To do this, accelerate towards the corner in the figure of 8 and then apply the clutch to unlock the LSD and then turn in. This will cause the plates to rub against one another without putting undue tress on the new LSD

The oil used in the LSD can also contribute to LSD chatter. Poor quality oils contain large amounts of tiny grains of metal which cause chattering. All-synthetic oils are also more likely to cause chattering in a mechanical LSD It’s also important to remember that the friction generates heat within the LSD and the oil should be changed at regular intervals to keep the LSD operating at it’s best. We recomend KAAZ Powertrain Gear Oil which has been specially blended for use with your LSD
http://www.bodykitsonline.co.uk/blog/?p=211

I will be purchasing one of the 1.5way KAAZ LSDs as from what I have read they are the best for road use. I'll also be going for one of them so that when I am overtaking someone in a narrow road I don't want to be getting pulled all over the road and find any potholes etc that could contribute to an accident on the road, that isn't really an issue for when you are on track.

the cheapest place i have found a new KAAZ diff from is;
http://www.limited-slip.com/acatalog/toyotastarlet.html

I'm not sure the cheapest place to get a quaiffe.

I would also buy new as you don't know how shagged a used one is and could end up costing you more in the long run.

Rich

Last edited: