Magnetic sump plug problem

gerard

Member +
went to tighten my magnetic sump plug this evening and it sheared of leaving the magnetic sump plug in, i managed to get the threaded bit out, but the magnetic piece is in the sump and i can see it but cant get it out as it is stuck to the sump... is it safe to leave there?? or will i have to take the sump of to get it out? ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you need the car, i would be tempted to leave it until the better weather and then take the sump off. if you can get hold of a strong magnet you could try and get it out with that. if you can see it i would have thought you could get it with something!?!?

Paul_JJ

Member +
Where did you buy it?

For a piece of mind it's better to drop the sump and get rid of it. Those magnetic plugs are crap quality...

gerard

Member +
the magnet is too strong to pull it out with anything its just stuck strongly to sump... notin will pull it out for me! is there any chance it could be picked up in the engine and do damage?

Ted

Member +
Get one of the wee telescopic magnets that fish out dropped bolts in the engine bay. Alternatively the piece that's in there isn't going anywhere, will just stay stuck to the pan. I sheared one too. They are shit.

gerard

Member +
will the telescopic magnet attach to another magnet? so it will be safe enough to leave there ????

ben10

Member +
with things like this it would be worth dropping the sump and getting out out, last thing u want is jamming between the crank or something stupid like that.... it probably will not even move to be fair but is it worth taking the risk. at least you get to reseal the sump and sort out any leaks at the same time. nice easy job as well. just don't pry the edge of the sump to hard when getting it off the bend rather easy try to cut it away till it starts to budge.

i had cut a few corners and now its costing me 300 notes to fix it, dont even risk it. new sealer is only about 10 quid XD

weeJohn

Lifer
A wire coat hanger cut and with a hook bent in it will let you move it across to the edge of the plug hole, then you can hoke it out with a screwdriver and get your apprentice gynecologist stripes ;)

H_D

Member +
A wire coat hanger cut and with a hook bent in it will let you move it across to the edge of the plug hole, then you can hoke it out with a screwdriver and get your apprentice gynecologist stripes ;)

hahaha pmsl!

gerard

Member +
I decided to drop the sump to take it out and there it was stuck to the oil pick up meshy thingy, how it got stuck to that i dont no, thought id find it stuck to the bottom of the sump pan near the sump hole,, glad i decided to take it ou,, jst need to put sump back on now an remove old sealent

Where did you buy it?

For a piece of mind it's better to drop the sump and get rid of it. Those magnetic plugs are crap quality...

i run those magnetic plugs on all my engines mate, you'd be surprised how much it actually collects even on a good healthy engine. The bigger problem is people over-tightening them because they think they need to be stupidly tight. Not a dig at the poster above or anything.

Tim

dac69er

Super Moderator
the quality is generally shit. the one i use the thread was wonky so it ripped part of the thread off it as i was screwing it in. works ok though. they are made from really cheap soft alloy.

gerard

Member +
it was probably weakend when i changed the oil the last 2 times as when i couldnt twist it anymore with my hand 1 half turn with the socket it sheared,, after all my trouble i see drops of oil on the gear box so i must have a leak on the sump,,

maybe its just the brands you've been using, i used to sell them for years and never had a single issue with the ones i had. They are made from alloy though

Tim