Management light on or is my car trying to tell me something

Rev

Member +
Well today I had 2 lights on never had that before . I changed back a gear and boost shot up to 15psi but I noticed I had left the ac idle up on ( which reduces my boost gauge reading by about 4psi because it shares the same vacuum pipe.) this means I had about 19 psi or something around there at about 4000rpm .

I had a light that looked like a little engine plus a red warning light. Knock looked about + 10 over my normal zero reading on boost.
Funny thing is i have a stock chipped ecu unlimited boost I didnt think it would give warnings never has at 20psi before .

The red warning light stayed on for 1 engine start after that both lights were gone.
( Most recent change is improved voltage on the injectors with better earth to the intake manifold and I added a manual ac idle up switch before that. )
Any ideas what these warnings mean ? eg. Have I done something bad for the engine leaving idle up running on boost ?

Last edited:

5e colin

Member +
how did u chip the stock ecy rev ????????????????????

bridge e1 and te1 in diagnostic socket and read it

Rev

Member +
Its an ' el prototypes' ecu from the usa. They had a license to chip the stock ecu outside Japan. Maybe it does have a boost limit I was told it didn't.
Even with 360cc injectors and safc2 it has some timing headroom so maybe tuned for 440cc injectors?

Last time I tried bridging the diagnostic it wasnt working thats why I thought I would ask about the 2 lights occuring together but will try again.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
Its an ' el prototypes' ecu from the usa. They had a license to chip the stock ecu outside Japan. Maybe it does have a boost limit I was told it didn't.
Even with 360cc injectors and safc2 it has some timing headroom so maybe tuned for 440cc injectors?

Last time I tried bridging the diagnostic it wasnt working thats why I thought I would ask about the 2 lights occuring together but will try again.

have you had the ecu apart to see if anything has actually been done to it and you havnt just been told lies? seems pointless to have a remapped ecu that has a pretty low fuel cut and needs an safc to run it!?!?

Rev

Member +
Good point dac I haven't looked inside but fuel cut is ok easily runs 20psi with safc.
( so does the stock ecu because it has 4.5v fuel cut rather than 4.1v ecu )
I have the same stock ecu though and have compared the 2.
The previous owner said the ecu was lean up top so I assumed it was tuned for much bigger injectors.
Comparing to the stock I find the el prototypes has less timing at some lower revs.
I may be wrong but it seems to me this is specifically tuned to add saftey with a safc as it compensates for the extra timing the safc causes due to the lower load sensed by the map with safc.

So far this is working well but I want to lift top end boost and timing further.
Dac you are correct currently i get similar power to a stock ecu with fpr and fcd because I have -20% fuel up top on safc but this one setup will fuel stock turbo or a much larger turbo.

The other advantage I find for an auto is that this is a manual ecu has much more timing generally but works better when changing from 3rd to OD on throttle than the stock manual ecu . The stock ecu has too much timing at the 75kph change point for the auto box with safc at -20%.

Last edited: