MAP Sensor Issues - New to Starlet

JamX

Fresh Recruit
Hi All,

Newbie here, and new to owning a starlet GT!

Over the past few days, my MAP sensor broke, and I've been trying to find a replacement with no luck.

The current MAP sensor part number # 89420-10110, the OEM stuff and I am assuming its with the 2 bar rating..

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to this sensor? it seems to be discontinued and the only available option is the Chinese knock off (Still waiting on delivery).

I found the Toyota turbo diesel MAP sensor, same connection, and I believe its rated with +2 bar but not sure if it will work (part number # 89421-71020).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

SKINY

Lifer
Welcome along :)

You can cross reference part numbers on toyodiy.com and a few other sites to see what other Toyota cars use the same part, maybe make it easier to find

Jay on here is usually our 1st stop for parts
Could try djr imports too

JamX

Fresh Recruit
Thank you for replying.

I did my search on Toyodiy and seems that this part number is specific to the Starlet with 4efte engine. I've ordered the MAP sensor (Chinese version) and will see once installed how it operates. I also ordered the turbo diesel engine MAP sensor to see if it actually works, as it seems its more common and available compared to the Starlet specific one. Ill report once tried.

Thanks!

dac69er

Super Moderator
Most turbo Toyota map sensors should have the same or a very similar operating range. Should all be close enough to work anyway. Things like mr2s etc. just make sure it is the cheaper 3sgte sensor as the higher range ones off rev 3 models and st205s command more money as allow you to see higher boost but use stock connections

SKINY

Lifer
Most turbo Toyota map sensors should have the same or a very similar operating range. Should all be close enough to work anyway. Things like mr2s etc. just make sure it is the cheaper 3sgte sensor as the higher range ones off rev 3 models and st205s command more money as allow you to see higher boost but use stock connections
It's the rev3 st205 onwards uses the map, the earlier 185, 165 used maf. It was a ballache and 185 folks swapped to the 205 map setup and ecu.
:)

JamX

Fresh Recruit
Thanks all for your replies.

Update: I received the diesel turbo Toyota MAP sensor (89421-71020) and seems like it does not work, when I plug it, it revs a bit high then stalls, but when I disconnect the MAP electrical connection, the engine idles nice and revs as it should. I dont think this MAP sensor works with 4efte engines. I am still waiting for the one specific to the Starlet GT to arrive (89420-10110) to check if the issue clears out.

Thanks and please share your thoughts.

truancy143

Fresh Recruit
I'm in the same boat. My MAP sensor broke at the nipple on the bottom connected to the vacuum hose.

*edit* I live in Japan and even here the PN is discontinued

Last edited:
sorry to here of your troubles finding certain parts....it's something many of us have experienced at some point.
yeah, some stuff has been discontinued, but sometimes things turn up at breakers, eBay, social media, etc., so keep an eye out

SKINY

Lifer
I'm in the same boat. My MAP sensor broke at the nipple on the bottom connected to the vacuum hose.

*edit* I live in Japan and even here the PN is discontinued
Not good, I'm having to get abs sensors for the Caldina from Australia shipped to Northern Ireland fs