Metallic satin black paint code

sdutton007

Member +
Hi,

I need to get hold of some spray paint for my metallic satin black starlet (paint code 205) - I have read on here that there are 5 or 6 different types that contain different amounts of metallic flakes and that you need the one with the most.

I went into halfords but their system only shows one 205 - and that doesnt contain enough metallic flakes to match.

Is there any paint that you can buy (out of the dozens of choices on the shelf in halfords) that matches? Or where can I get some that is exactly right?

Cheers

Dan_SV

Member +
the metallic black used on starlets is 205, but it isn't a satin colour.
as far as i know there are 2 shades of this colour (standard and a yellower shade), but again they are not satin.
are you sure the car is the standard colour??

*have just had a quick look on my works mixing scheme and there are only the 2 shades i mentioned above*

hope this helps

sdutton007

Member +
the metallic black used on starlets is 205, but it isn't a satin colour.
as far as i know there are 2 shades of this colour (standard and a yellower shade), but again they are not satin.
are you sure the car is the standard colour??

*have just had a quick look on my works mixing scheme and there are only the 2 shades i mentioned above*

hope this helps

yes, its definately the standard colour. Look at paint code 205 on here: http://www.toyotareference.com.

Any idea how I can get this paint?

Thanks

Dan_SV

Member +
hmmm, i have mixed that colour myself loads of time and it isn't a satin colour!
with it being metallic it needs lacquering and this would make it a gloss colour, the only thing i can think is that it may have been matt lacquered, giving a satin finish to the paint.

Dan_SV

Member +
i mix it at work (thats part of my job), but i don't know what paint scheme halfords would be using so i can't get you the colour formulation.
sorry about that :(

sdutton007

Member +
I just spoke to somebody in halfords again, and they said that the paint code will be something like 205-4 or 205-6, as 205 is just the flat colour. Does anybody know what it could be?

sdutton007

Member +
Or is there any other car that uses the same colour? According to my research, the corolla, paseo and tercel all use 205 but do they match the starlets metallic black?

stu bears gt

Member +
205 would still be the same colour aslong as it is for toyota on the scheme, although the dates may change it. im a sprayer myself and run a mobile business i agree with above and only thing i would say is go to a repair shop and ask a painter there for help, he will match the shades up for you and evan mix paint up at a cost, its very hard to deal with without seing the car mate

Dan_SV

Member +
^^^^^^^^
as stu says, if you can take the car in then you can always get someone to tint the paint to match the car.
working in a motor factors we regularly tint and tweak colours to match cars that people have brought in.

Dan_SV

Member +
and it takes a special eye to do so :) lol

you got that right mate!
usually if we can't 'chip' a car up when its there we ask for the fuel filler cap or another easily removable body part and spend a day or so matching that! by no means the easiest job in the world. ;)