Metallic Screeching Noise from frond of Car when Turning Left

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

Around 1 month ago i had a new clutch fitted and since then i've been getting a metallic screeching noise from the front end of the car when i turn left. The more i lock the wheel the louder it gets and also gets even louder depending on how quick i take a left turn.

I had the car put through the MOT recently and i mentioned this to the MOT inspector but all the steering was spot on as the MOT inspector checked it out and couldn't find anything.

I've got a feeling it has something to do with the clutch as they had to take off both front wheels and release the relevant bars in order to get access to the gearbox.

Any ideas on what it could possibly be as its gets very irritating and could also be causing further damage. It can also be heard by people walking by as they often turn their heads to see what the noise is.

Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks

TurboDave

Member +
Hello all

Around 1 month ago i had a new clutch fitted and since then i've been getting a metallic screeching noise from the front end of the car when i turn left. The more i lock the wheel the louder it gets and also gets even louder depending on how quick i take a left turn.

I had the car put through the MOT recently and i mentioned this to the MOT inspector but all the steering was spot on as the MOT inspector checked it out and couldn't find anything.

I've got a feeling it has something to do with the clutch as they had to take off both front wheels and release the relevant bars in order to get access to the gearbox.

Any ideas on what it could possibly be as its gets very irritating and could also be causing further damage. It can also be heard by people walking by as they often turn their heads to see what the noise is.

Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks

It could be the heat/dust shield on the brake disc causing it, take your wheel off and have a look.

ady_glanza

Member +
It could be the heat/dust shield on the brake disc causing it, take your wheel off and have a look.

hi mate
How would this have occured and how can it be fixed is the problem

Also the noise happens when i am not braking and just driving as normal so it may not be a brake thing.

Do you think it has anything to do with the recent clutch change as i've got a feeling something may not have been fitted back on correctly.

Thanks

TurboDave

Member +
hi mate
How would this have occured and how can it be fixed is the problem

Also the noise happens when i am not braking and just driving as normal so it may not be a brake thing.

Do you think it has anything to do with the recent clutch change as i've got a feeling something may not have been fitted back on correctly.

Thanks

If its like a screechy metal noise then it could be your problem, its easily done when putting a wheel back on by just bashing into it as its only thin metal.

Take the wheel off and see if the shield is looking bent or out of shape/close to the disk, it could be this or it could be something else but this is an easy check. I personally would leave the wheel on and stick a long screwdriver through the spokes in the wheel and bend the shield back a bit if its looking out of shape.

Texx

Super Moderator
The brake shields are only made of thin plate and can be easily bent slightly when working around them. In this photo you can see the shield that's located behind the brake disc.

DSC01124.jpg

Using a screwdriver or something similar push the shield away from the disc all the way round. Depending on the style of wheel you have, you can probably do this without removing the wheel. Do this to both sides and then see if it cures the noise.

ady_glanza

Member +
The brake shields are only made of thin plate and can be easily bent slightly when working around them. In this photo you can see the shield that's located behind the brake disc.

DSC01124.jpg

Using a screwdriver or something similar push the shield away from the disc all the way round. Depending on the style of wheel you have, you can probably do this without removing the wheel. Do this to both sides and then see if it cures the noise.

Hi mate
many thanks for the pic and info
However could you please circle the shield for me and also how would i get to it without removing the wheel as it seems to be something thats behind the wheel and brake pads.

Also as i've mentioned the noise only happens when i am driving normally and turning left and not braking

TurboDave

Member +
Hi mate
many thanks for the pic and info
However could you please circle the shield for me and also how would i get to it without removing the wheel as it seems to be something thats behind the wheel and brake pads.

Also as i've mentioned the noise only happens when i am driving normally and turning left and not braking

If you cant work out where the dust shield is from that pic with the disk removed then your probably a lost cause mate.

It is the thin metal shield behind the disk, and as already said get a long screwdriver or something similar and bend it back a bit with the wheel still on.

The braking part is irrelevant.

ady_glanza

Member +
If you cant work out where the dust shield is from that pic with the disk removed then your probably a lost cause mate.

It is the thin metal shield behind the disk, and as already said get a long screwdriver or something similar and bend it back a bit with the wheel still on.

The braking part is irrelevant.

hi mate
soz for asking where exactly it is, i've never had such a problem before with a car
If its behind the disk then won't you need to take the brake disc of in order to get to it?
Thanks

Last edited:

TurboDave

Member +
hi mate
soz for asking where exactly it is, i've never had such a problem before with a car
If its behind the disk then won't you need to take the brake disc of in order to get to it?
Thanks

The shield is bigger than the disc so you can see, feel, bend it with the wheel on depending on what style wheels you have.

hubbygt

Member +
Directly behind the disc is where the gaurd is. Bend it away from the disc.......

Can't make it any simpler than that dude.

ady_glanza

Member +
UPDATE
Right i've just got home and done the brake shield push back using a screwdriver, however it has made the problem a lot worse, i now get lots of metallic screeching noise when turing left and right, even if i turn very slightly i am getting some noise. It was quite embarrassing as it was very loud and at one point i was considering calling the AA. So overall what has been suggesting on here has made the problem worse :(

Any other suggestions?

TurboDave

Member +
UPDATE
Right i've just got home and done the brake shield push back using a screwdriver, however it has made the problem a lot worse, i now get lots of metallic screeching noise when turing left and right, even if i turn very slightly i am getting some noise. It was quite embarrassing as it was very loud and at one point i was considering calling the AA. So overall what has been suggesting on here has made the problem worse :(

Any other suggestions?

If it has made it worse then thats more than likely what your problem has been although your attempt at fixing it was inadequate.

ady_glanza

Member +
If it has made it worse then thats more than likely what your problem has been although your attempt at fixing it was inadequate.

hi mate
so what should have been solution has made the problem worse and if so why has this happened?
The wheel bearings are fine on the car and the power steering fluid is at maximum level so what else could be causing it.
Bit of a shame as the car has just got a fresh MOT and now its probs going to be parked up until a solution is found.

hubbygt

Member +
It really sounds as it's guard that's causing it if it's made the problem worse. I think you're gonna have to try and manouver it so there is a decent gap the whole way round the guard from the disc. Doesn't need bent back much.

I would be very surprised if this is not the problem from the details you have given of the issue.

If you ar unable to do this then I suggest you take it to a garage for them to have quick look.

ady_glanza

Member +
It really sounds as it's guard that's causing it if it's made the problem worse. I think you're gonna have to try and manouver it so there is a decent gap the whole way round the guard from the disc. Doesn't need bent back much.

I would be very surprised if this is not the problem from the details you have given of the issue.

If you ar unable to do this then I suggest you take it to a garage for them to have quick look.

hi mate
i'm going to try and take it the garage tomorrow
just another thing, when they do try to manouver the disc shields should this be done with the steering being straight, on left lock or right lock?
thanks

hubbygt

Member +
Well you be taking the wheel off to do it probably so the steering should be straight anyway.
However it's not a big problem at all and any garage will know what to do right away and should be sorted in 10 mins if that is definitely what is wrong.

Had this many a time when changing wheels, pads, discs, struts etc. Easy thing to fix, can even be done with wheels on if you can get your hands through to the guard as said in previous posts by turbodave.

Good luck with it.

TurboDave

Member +
Where are you located? There must be somebody local to you who wouldnt mind looking at/fixing your problem.

If it is the shield which I think it is then it wont cause any harm rubbing.