missfiring and knocking

welshowz

Member +
was just driving home came off a roundabout gave it some boost in 2nd gear and the car started knocking so backed off and pulled over. car is missfiring and when revved a knocking/tapping noise comes from what seems like the rocker cover. managed to limp home but its too dark to start stripping it down to have a look anyone got any ideas?? the knocking/tapping only happens when accelerating nothing when coming back down through the gears.

welshowz

Member +
Nightmare....

I'll pop down and have a look tomorrow if you like, any oil out of the breather?

nah no oil out of the breather dave. yeahh that would be wicked if you wouldn't mind popping down mate?? gimme a text if you read this before tomoz if not i'll send you a text or something tomoz. i'm expecting the worst to be honest..

corofin12345

Member +
you may of slipped a tooth on the timing belt bud but then agian maybe not..if a big end bearing let go the engine wouldnt missfire.. let us know how yee get on

TheStarletGT

Member +
If the 4efte had rocker arms, the tapping on rocker cover would explain a broken rocker arm, but since the engine does not have rocker arms, the knocking would have to be lower than the head.

It Couldnt be the cam caps broken and floating around the rocker cover. Unless you broke valve springs, that may explain the tapping/knocking and missfire.