More Power please i want 300bhp!!!

Suttonturbo

Fresh Recruit
hi lads you might notace its my first post, iv never been on forums before and when i saw this one i realised how much use it could be to me when my glanza broke down :(

i was driving from derby last week on some nice country roads (you know the dance) ;) and when i got home leaving the car to cool down i notaced white smoke coming from my bonet vent wich i thought was unusual lol

i opend the bonet and smoke was coming out of my pipercross filter where the breather is i turned the car off and had a think about why i thought this was happening i thought a pistonring had gone causing the compressed air to escape through the easiest route eg rockercover breather, i then took the plugs out and No 3 looked Donald Ducked! soooo i compresion tested the engine and it came out;

cyl 1 155
cyl 2 165
cyl 3 60
cyl 4 170

i still havnt stripped the car down yet but i will be getting round to this at weekend,

to be honest im not realy that meithered about the car dying on me because i was wanting to forge her any way!

Quick spec so far;

Td05 turbo
Mild steel manifold
Forge actuator
TRd quick shift
Quaif 1.5way LSD
Exedy paddle clutch
Autobahn Fmic
NGK ignition leads
HKs spark plugs
Hks FCD
Coilovers with camber adjust
RSR panrod
Buddyclub P1's
Toyo TR1s allround
Black diamond 40groove disks (front)
EBC Yellow stuff pads (front)
Jasma blue tip Exhaust
Civic ally rad
Auto guage boost guage
Razor pedal
TRd gear nob
Hks boost controler
indigo dials

anwy the point f the post was to ask you guys wat you would recomend buying i.e parts wise as my car stands she did a 14.6 sec at santapod on the 7th of august with full interior and tools in the boot lol

Pstons? domed?
wat rods are best? iv seen wossner and scat rods on a few cars on here
injectors? Denso 550cc? Rx7 440cc? wats best and are they direct fit?
hks fuel rail do they do anything?
head gasket? iv seen a range of sizes from 0.6mm TRd up to 2.0mm cruise head gaskets obviously bigger head gasket lowers CR but can you go too low with domed pistons and a 2.0mm HG??
management wats the diffrence between a blue emanage piggyback ecu and a apexi fc apart from the price lol and will it get more bhp from my engine?
camshafts the only ones i can find are on tm developments wich are reground to your spec but they are abit too pricey at nearly £700 lol are there any more companys that do 4efte cams? iv also heard about 5e cams? any good?? how much? wer from? wat gains over 4efte cams??

also i have a tdo5 turbo on mine at the moment and it spools up at around 4700rpm is that normal because its off a much larger engined car (not sure wat its off actually subaru? evo? ) or could that be the rings goin before? wats the max bhp these turbos will take iv been told 250bhp maxd?

i know its alot of questions guys but iv got nochance of building a 300bhp starlet if i dont ask all the Q's lol any help would be very much appreciated

thanks Suttonturbo :haha:

nazzurro19

Member +
Td05s are capable of way more them 250 ! Some people have 250 with td04s and the td05s are an upgrade for scoobs etc

Also hittin boost on a standard engine runnin a big turbo , 4700 is probs right the bigger the turbo more lag obviously

srankin90

Member +
I'm looking for 300+bhp to and in the middle of the build at the minute.

pistons: i used JE pistons but wiseco are also very good as well
Rods: i used scat but think pauter are the best
injectors: i'll be using 550cc
standard fuel rail will do the job no bother
headgasket: i went for 1.4mm headgasket from momentum motorsport. it all depends what you want from the car
management: i went for apexi power fc as it is a standalone ecu and is not a piggyback like emanage blue but plenty of people are using emanage ultimate for over 300bhp
cams: was told it is too much hassle and not worth it when it comes to cams as the standard ones are up to the job
turbo: it depends what td05 you have. im using a vf35 as it spools quicker than a td05 but gives out similar power

hope this helps

Suttonturbo

Fresh Recruit
I'm looking for 300+bhp to and in the middle of the build at the minute.

pistons: i used JE pistons but wiseco are also very good as well
Rods: i used scat but think pauter are the best
injectors: i'll be using 550cc
standard fuel rail will do the job no bother
headgasket: i went for 1.4mm headgasket from momentum motorsport. it all depends what you want from the car
management: i went for apexi power fc as it is a standalone ecu and is not a piggyback like emanage blue but plenty of people are using emanage ultimate for over 300bhp
cams: was told it is too much hassle and not worth it when it comes to cams as the standard ones are up to the job
turbo: it depends what td05 you have. im using a vf35 as it spools quicker than a td05 but gives out similar power

hope this helps

cheers for that srankin just wat im looking for!!! you say ''depends what you want from the car'' do you mean boost wise like 1bar, 1.5 bar?
wat boost will the tdo5 go up to? cheers

Suttonturbo

Fresh Recruit
Td05s are capable of way more them 250 ! Some people have 250 with td04s and the td05s are an upgrade for scoobs etc

Also hittin boost on a standard engine runnin a big turbo , 4700 is probs right the bigger the turbo more lag obviously

cheers nazzurro any help is much appreciated!!

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
cant remember if the fcd lean the fueling or make it run rich either way it not good for the car i got my fcd with an fpr set up on mine so it runs rite and got afr guage so i can keep an eye on it too

srankin90

Member +
cheers for that srankin just wat im looking for!!! you say ''depends what you want from the car'' do you mean boost wise like 1bar, 1.5 bar?
wat boost will the tdo5 go up to? cheers
the higher the CR the more responsive it will be but theres more chance of detonation and the lower the CR the less chance of detonation but less response

Suttonturbo

Fresh Recruit
nice 1 lads so a meduim 1.2mm is good enough!! if i had a 2mm head gasket dose that mean i can run more boost than if i have a 1.2mm headgasket? ill be getting the frp will be getting added when the engine is back in!!

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
i got 2mm gasket with dished pistons on my forged engine it allows it the handle the boost no problem guy who had it before me ran 2bar on td05 and it was fine am i right in thinkin it was u who texted me other day that u blew your engine

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Stock compression ratio can handle alot of boost, just make sure if you get the car mapped on super unleaded than you dont put in regular. My own car has a 0.6mm headgasket and -10cc dished pistons(5E has higher compression so the -10cc brings it back to stock 4E levels), 2 bar isn't a problem on 97 ron fuel.

Last edited:

Suttonturbo

Fresh Recruit
i got 2mm gasket with dished pistons on my forged engine it allows it the handle the boost no problem guy who had it before me ran 2bar on td05 and it was fine am i right in thinkin it was u who texted me other day that u blew your engine

yeah mate i think soo lol you the one i sold the clutch slave cylinder too?