MOT - cat!

Loggy09

Fresh Recruit
I know this has probably been mentioned a million times but I'm still unsure. My glanza passed the MOT in Northern Ireland last year without a cat but I have since been informed the regulations have changed so that you need a cat now. If so, what cats are people using and where can I get one?

Cheers,

Orran

marty

Member +
Im up for MOT tonight and ive a decat so i will soon let you know.

I was talking to my next door neighbour who works in the test centre, he says its quite a grey area... along the lines of if it is obvious there is a cat missing, ie a decat pipe then it could fail. I dont know, but i'll soon find out.

edit... http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/customer-information-notice-cars-2010.pdf
point 15

If you have something that looks like a cat it might be alright though?

Keep us posted anyway lad..I'll be up for mine in a few months..

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Failed the mot, but the decat passed no probs, and emissions were 1.6%vol out of the allowed 3.5%vol.

It failed on a the filler cap, rear fog and mph dials not being illuminated, so easy fixes :)

Loggy09

Fresh Recruit
Not so bad then mate, just a few bits. I remember last time, the man took a serious look at my filler cap too. Might get a new one just to be sure.

AdamB

Member +
I'm sure its anything manufactured after 31st July 1995 needs a cat in place and visible, obviously needs to be working also.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I'm sure its anything manufactured after 31st July 1995 needs a cat in place and visible, obviously needs to be working also.

a tester over here ive been speaking to says its 2001 and onwards ( in NI anyway, dont know about the mainland )

Loggy09

Fresh Recruit
Failed the mot, but the decat passed no probs, and emissions were 1.6%vol out of the allowed 3.5%vol.

It failed on a the filler cap, rear fog and mph dials not being illuminated, so easy fixes :)

What did he say was wrong with your filler cap mate? think mines is an original where you just poke the nozzle through and there's no actual cap to screw on? did he say you needed a proper cap?

thanks

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Mine is one of the temporary ones you can buy from garages, they aren't threaded, they push in like a plug, but for MOT is must lock, ie twist until tight or with a key

Mikey4410

Member +
with regards to the cat thing,i was wondering is it not possible once you get the car to the test centre to turn the fueling right the way down so the cars alot leaner etc just for the duration of the test ?? or does the emissons thing not work like that ?

Loggy09

Fresh Recruit
Had the test today, failed on the filler cap as well. How did you get on with the re-test? Where did you get a new filler cap?
Cheers.