Motorbike Owners - Need advise!

Rosco

Member +
My girlfriend has paid for a CBT for me. I've been looking to get my bike license for a while but not sure what bike(s) to consider. What do you have? What do you suggest/advise?

Also still not sure as to what route to go down as I'm still trying to work out the tests lol Can anyone explain these. The way I see it is:

1. Normal restricted test 125cc under
2. Test with higher capacity bike that is restricted in power which you drive for min 2 years before qualifying to have the restriction removed.
3. Direct Access

I've had a few motorcross bikes in the past and have fully rebuilt a few road bikes with my dad so I'm not a complete novice.

mattwho

Member +
all depends mate
im 27 and i just done mine
first was cbt to ride 125 lol but u never will
then book bulk lessons i did 3 days of lesssons 2 days where 4 hours 1 day was 2 hours then i did my test on the last day
when you book your bulk lessons book your theory test as it most times takes a few weeks till you get your lesons so u will have ur theory done befor then.
then when you have dont your main test you can do what u like!!!
the day i passed my teat i moved from scunthorpe to wellingbourgh its 2.5 hours lol and within 30 mins of passing test i was riding my bike home lol fzr 400 FTW
then when you pass get yourself a nice 400 as it will get you used to bikes then after 6 months to a year get what the hell you like!!
im after a gsxr 600 srad or k1 in about 4 months but ofcorse starbo comes first lol

so in breef

cbt
theory
lessons
test

matt

ps
if you are to young you have to ride a 125 for 2 years lol (when you pass your test) but its not a bad thing cos some are fast.

Rosco

Member +
Thanks mate.

I'm 24 so no worries about the 2 year restriction then! :)

Yeah same here, Starlet comes first but I've always fancied getting a bike also!

starbogt

Member +
I passed my test about 7 years ago I did the test restricted as its easier to do the turn in the road with a 125:D also whether you thrash it or not you won't go over the speed limit by too much.. I went straight on to a gsxr600SRAD restricted mmm that lasted about a month they are very fast and then after 9000rpm they're awesome for a 1st bike they are brilliant but 2 up they struggle I know have a zzr1100 and thats in a different league;) but I'd swap anyday for a gsxr750 the handling is to die for although the seat height is rather high compare to my zzr. I personally believe you'd benefit from being on a low powered bike for a few months to get used to road bike handling and learn the bike... when they are derestricted wow you feel special. All the gsxr models are very light especially at the front so the front wheel doesn't like to stay on the ground when given a fist full be aware I got caught out on a bridge with the wife on the back ...

get your full license though ;) I took lessons over a few months instead of all in 1 week and it made me look forward to every lesson.

mattwho

Member +
get a 400 mate ther low ish power then few years yet a gsxr 600
im after a gsxr next but im gettering close to a 750 yum yum

i was so exsited about doing it all in 1 week it was amazing but if you dont have the £399 it cost me then do it over a month lol

Jules-B

Member +
As the son of a motorcycle dealer i think its my turn to step in!!

As you are 24 there is no restriction to what you can ride. you can do a direct access test which then allows you to drive anything.
If you leave it at CBT and dont do a test or lessons you are allowed to ride anything that is 125cc. or something that is restricted to 33bhp...Please dont get a big bike and restrict it as its no fun to drive!!

Depending on your prior experience with bikes, you can decide which would be best for you. If you have minimal or no experience i would get a 125. If you have ridden before and are fairly comfortable on a bike then somthing bigger would be good.

Dont assume the bigger the better. eg A gsxr 1000 is much heavier than say a 600 of the same mark. 600's would be easier to throw around into the corners and doesnt really feel like a tank.

Personally one of the nicest bikes i have ever ridden was a triumph Daytona. Lovely bike, Handled well and overall was very comfortable.

If you need any more help just drop me a pm