My car is idleing low

FoxtoEP82

Fresh Recruit
I have recently bout a starlet gt turbo EP82 and it seems to be idleing too low. From cold it is at about 1200 rpm and when warm it goes down to approx 450 rpm. Is this a common fault and how do I fix it? I was thinking it may be the idle control valve?

FoxtoEP82

Fresh Recruit
I thought the idle control sensor was the grey electronic device on the side of the intake manifold or is that the airflow sensor?

whiteglanzav

Member +
there is also a screw on the right handside of the ilet mani under a rubber grub - loosen this off and it will adjust you idle - but also clean the icv there is a "how to" somewhere - have a search

FoxtoEP82

Fresh Recruit
Cheers guys! Will try this. Also forgot to mention that the previous owner. Took the standard airfilter off and replaced it with a filter that fits directly on the turbo (has removed all the pipe so the filter is directly connected to turbo). Could this effect the idle speed?

madmanGT

Banned
yea but you screw that idle thing up that means your cold idle will go up!! and that will not be to good.try some vacums on the inlet! make sure there all on and no slits on them.

ginor

Member +
If you have slits in the vac lines then the revs would automatically go up on there own, you'd know about it lol mine went to around 2000rpm (on idle) when my vac line split.

FoxtoEP82

Fresh Recruit
Any more suggestions? I have cleaned the icv and it is still idleing low. Dunno what's up wi it? I'm gunna get the original air filter with all piping etc put back on tomorrow so I will see if that helps. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for the help so far. I'm sure we will get there in the end.