My day at the Rolling road

Luke.R

Member +
Today I went along to a STOC rolling road day, but I was expecting a little more bhp/torque to be honest.

My spec

Jam ECU
HKS Acutator running 1 bar
HDI fmic
Cast Blitz de-cat
custom two and a quarter inch exhuast
Meshed turbo
Sard r2d2 bov

A few pics...

DSCF0578.jpg

DSCF0580.jpg

My mates senetor lol
DSCF0582.jpg

DSCF0583.jpg

DSCF0587.jpg

DSCF0594.jpg

Luke.R

Member +
Thats at the fly :(

I have even done a compression test just to make sure number 3 aint on it's way out and I got 157 160 160 160 which is ok.

I also got a print out of the AFR to see what the fueling is doing, and its running a little bit rich, but thats normal on a jam ecu

forgot to add my spec that I also have a ported manifold and TRD paddle clutch

Luke.R

Member +
just been reading though other starlet owners results and mine seem crap considering my mods.

anyone have any ideas why it could be so low?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Get some management you can actually tune or piggy back off the JAM with a Emanage or equiv :) Also put a filter up front, meshing turbo removes the stock track restrictions but suffers heat soak as the turbo compressor inlet is right up aginst the block..

T

Luke.R

Member +
I did kinda think the lack a air filter wasn't doing me any good, so I will more than likely be ordering a front mounted one from you asap.

As for a piggy back ecu, I may aswell sell the JAM one and run the piggy back off the standard ecu.

Chris@CCM

Member +
i made 173 at 14psi with no ecu just a fpr and fcd and 186.8 once the manifold when on . get ur timing checked i also run no fliter so its not that

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Edit is says 14psi, are you sure mate that's an awful lot with a stock manifold. 40bhp increase over standard (thats standard brand new engine) what else have you done, was the rolling road at the centre of the earth! :eek:

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Yeah plenty of room to improve the fueling there mate, get a emanage on it and get the fueling leaned off and you should see alot of gains as them aftermarket ecu's tend to have alot of ignition advance so leaning off should show that up more.

As long as it goes well on the road thats all that matters really mate, to many people go for BHP figures and forget about how it drives on the road.

~Nick

Luke.R

Member +
It does go really well, I can sit next to my mates teg type r which is 204 bhp and my mates senetor which is 220 bhp.

thats why I couldn't understand the figures?

Just wondering, if say the valve timing or ignition timing is out, then could that be anything to do with it?

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
It does go really well, I can sit next to my mates teg type r which is 204 bhp and my mates senetor which is 220 bhp.

thats why I couldn't understand the figures?

Just wondering, if say the valve timing or ignition timing is out, then could that be anything to do with it?
Yeah, is the timing out?

ChrisGT

Member +
That doesn't make sense if thats at the fly.... I made 150hp at the fly, with 11psi, stock mani, FMIC, exhaust, de-cat and air filter ! What was your torque and bhp atw ? I shall be running 1Bar in a few weeks, so I'll get it RR'ed and let you guys know ! Aiming for 150 atw if thats at all possible @ 1Bar - we'll see!

Luke.R

Member +
It was 120 something at the wheels (don't have a graph sorry)

Jones36

well when I got the car the bloke had lashed a cambelt on, but it looks like he has just marked it up where it stopped when he has turned the engine off, not checked it fully, but maybe its a tooth out or something, or just me getting paranoid.

Also some months ago I had a bizzare situation where my dizz had a huge crack in it, not the cap, the dizzy itself, I put another one on in the same place as the old one, but maybe it does need setting, it's never really crossed my mind untill today.

herbie

Member +
I got 149 bhp with just a filter exhaust and decat. Standard boost.

Your car does seem to be running very rich, that will cost you some ponnies.

Luke.R

Member +
Just checked the cambelt and it's timed up ok with the 4E hole on the cam aligined with the dimple in the camshaft carrier, and the crank is pointing to 0 on the cover.

I don't have a timing light to check the ignition timing so I'm a bit stumped.

also did a diagnosis test and its all good.

I can't understand it.

TurboDave

Member +
Does it seem to die off later up the revs?

A GT I had before jumped a tooth and it affected the top end pull big time.