my turbo and welding question

imagesCAXJ9NMZ.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00022.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00024.jpg

thats my ct9b im getting the waste gate welded to go external and i have split the housing off, the was a big enough crack in the wastegate would this expand under the strain of welding? also i have removed the wastegate stopper completly was that the right thing to do? also under the exhaust wheel there is some carbon deposits would this be caused by oil theres no play in the shaft atal and no visible oil in the blower side, i havent had this in my car yet but the fella i bought it off of said he bought it because the shaft had no play but he is going for a bigger turbo so no use for it now, is there any easy way to reasemble the turbo and should i clean it while its out?

the fela im getting to do it works on stainless mostly he said cast is 50/50 to weld he wants to arc weld it with cast rods instead of mig but any1 ive heard on here had it migged?

dac69er

Super Moderator
if the housing is heated before hand and he uses cast rods then should be fine mate. if he knows what he is doing then there shouldnt be a problem.

as for the carbon build up. the exhaust seal is probably gone or at least on its way out. may as well get it rebuilt if you can.

Stu-

Member +
I preheat the housings before welding them up and usually do them with a tig although cast ARC rods will also do the job.

I wouldn't worry about the carbon, just try it out and see how it goes. If the seals are on their way out then it'll all get pulled down and cleaned anyway

how hot does the exhaust housing have to be heated? if the oil seal was gone wouldnt the fins and housing be all oily? or will i have to lump it in and hope its not smokey :homer: :haha:

Stu-

Member +
Not too hot - say till you are just able to still handle it with your hands etc ~ 50 degrees C. Its the rapid change of temp from cold that can cause the problems. If its warm then its less likely to crack etc.

Sometimes they can get oily but it depends on how much oil sepage your getting. If its only tiny amounts to can get a bit of a build up but also get some smoke.
I'd slap it on there and just try it out :)

Last edited:

Stu-

Member +
No worries, thanks.

The carbon build up could be from a slight sepage of oil burning up on the rear wheel.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
u get carbon deposits from burnt fuel in the exhaust gases that go through the turbo put your finger in your exhaust and it will be black with carbon