n/a conversion help!! PLEASEE

charlieingram

Fresh Recruit
Right I bought a starlet 4efe with full glanza kit, had a turbo'd 4efe engine with fte injectors,fpr, td04l and half a piston missing on cyl 4... Soo I bought a fte block, fte pistons, fte crank and head.. Rebuilt it with new rings bearings headgasket etc, sourced a fte intake manifold and tb, knock sensor. Now I have the main part, I've been reading that its possible with abit of knowledge to convert the na loom to run the fte engine by rewiring certain pin outs and adding in some wires to run map, knock etc. So I bought an ep82 fte ecu to mate my na loom, Now my question is do I definately need to change my ditributor to king lead and ignitor type or will it be sufficient? Also I have just been offered and ep82 loom, but can't decide if it will create more problems... Does it mate to dash loom or will I be back in the same boat? Also am I missing any thing I need to convert?

weeJohn

Lifer
It would be easier to start with a Glanza ECU and loom, it has more in common with your 4EFE loom and less work for you.

charlieingram

Fresh Recruit
It would be easier to start with a Glanza ECU and loom, it has more in common with your 4EFE loom and less work for you.

The problem was getting hold of a glanza loom and an ecu for the right price... I paid 30 for the 82 ecu and have read that its not that hard as I am a mechanic myself. Do I need the distributor off the turbo model or would the na one work?

5e colin

Member +
4efte distributer and external coil is better

so u are a 96+ starlet 4efe converted to turbo running a ep82 gt ecu ???????? a jumper harness can be made from ep82 to 91 vissa versa

charlieingram

Fresh Recruit
4efte distributer and external coil is better

so u are a 96+ starlet 4efe converted to turbo running a ep82 gt ecu ???????? a jumper harness can be made from ep82 to 91 vissa versa

Yeah 97 ep91 with ep82 ecu as the plugs are the same on the na loom, then was told to add in plugs for knock, ignitor and distibutor, intake manifold sensors. Made a start on the loom conversion tonight... What is a jumper harness??

5e colin

Member +
jumper harnes is going from gt 2 plug to glanza 3 plug ecu pinouts conversion

u could run the extra wires in the loom and switch a few wires around but i still recommend to get 4efte distributer and coil igniter setup
the 4efe internal coil is tiny and weak compared to the turbo setup u want a good strong spark

charlieingram

Fresh Recruit
jumper harnes is going from gt 2 plug to glanza 3 plug ecu pinouts conversion

u could run the extra wires in the loom and switch a few wires around but i still recommend to get 4efte distributer and coil igniter setup
the 4efe internal coil is tiny and weak compared to the turbo setup u want a good strong spark

Ok so I'll get the coil and distributor, just the problem with a jumper is then I'll need 82 loom and 91 loom for the ecu plug? I'll continue trying to work out the na loom conversion if all else fails I'll do that. Do you know if the part of the harness that goes into the car (not ecu one) has the same plugs as the 82 fte on the na? So I can change 82 loom and mate upto na 91 dash loom??

5e colin

Member +
u will nead the gt 2 plugs and the glanza v 3 plugs connect them 2 together to the matching pins so u can connect the new section between the ecu and the original loom
if u then need to run extra wires u can tap in on the new jumper harnes

get the plugs in a scrapyard u nead 1 scrap ecu to take out the socket ( ecu that matches ur original loom now)

u will also have a few wires over !!!!!!

weeJohn

Lifer
You will need a GT dizzy and an ignitor to run with the GT ECU, if your n/a ECU is a 2 pin ECU then the dash loom plug will suit without any changes. The n/a loom will need quite a few wires changed over in the 26 pin plug, if its a 3 plug ECU then it will need lots of changes. I have done this a few times, I strip the engine control wires off the n/a loom, leaving the starting, charging and all other wiring alone. I strip the same off the turbo loom and splice it into the n/a loom, then everything that worked before will again. It is harder to do that with an EP82 loom into an EP91 loom as the Jap and UK wiring method is quite different, but I still find this less problematic than adding plugs and swapping wires.