n00b advice about set-up

RobinL

Fresh Recruit
Hey all,

I'm collecting my parts for the new engine before swappig it with the current engine. I told some friends with a 4E-FTE what I was up to and they told my it wasn't going to work, because I'll reach the fuel cut. Can some1 please tell me if this is going to work.

Full stock 4E-FTE
Mild steel exh. manifold
De-cat
HKS Silent Hi-Power
FMIC
Relocated Cold Air-intake

Now why isn't this going to work?? This is just a normal upgrade imo. I only make the engine breath a lot better and give it a little colder air.

davehart

Member +
On CT9 setups pushing more cooler air through can cause the turbo to boost over the factory settings, hence the fuel cut.

You can never really tell if it will until all the parts are on the car and you take it out, every car seems to be different.

One thing I would do is port the wastegate to minimise boost creep and ultimately fuel cut.

RobinL

Fresh Recruit
I heard a lot about porting the wastegate, but I don't understand what happens when you do this. When I do something, I want to know how it works :).

HKS actuator added to my list :). Controls the boost, am I right?

sanchez

Member +
I heard a lot about porting the wastegate, but I don't understand what happens when you do this. When I do something, I want to know how it works :).

HKS actuator added to my list :). Controls the boost, am I right?

Yes thats right...

or you could get an external wastegate setup, which would cure the boost creep, which leads to fuel cut.

RobinL

Fresh Recruit
For that, I have to leave the stock wastegate open all the time (removing the lid) and get me a manifold with wastegate connetion (WEPR as example)?

sanchez

Member +
Nope, get the wastegate (lid) welded shut, and as you said, get a manifold with a fitting for an external wastegate (wepr, zisco, custom etc) and control with a boost controller :)