NEED HELP IDENTIFYING THIS GEARBOX (pics inside)

maas_joe

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys this is my first post. I have the gearbox seen below, but I am having problems sourcing axles for it.

I would also like to know the following information:

1. What kind of LSD box is it?
2. What vehicles do they normally come in?
3. The transaxle code eg. C153, C154 etc.

And any other information available, as i would like to bolt it on to my 4EFTE but need the right hand side axle.

Thanks in advance.

Image080.jpg

Image084.jpg

Image085.jpg

tayyib

Lifer
looks like it has an optional LSD in there mate, aftermarket LSD housings usually look the same. there is a part sticking out on this one where the driveshaft fits, just like the oem lsd.

come on gt's/glanzas. gt has longer 3rd 4th gear ratio, not sure how you can identify which one of the two it is.

maas_joe

Fresh Recruit
This is a better view showing the axle that I need. Does anyone know the transaxle # because a friend of mine wanted to order it for me but the store (NAPA) requires the transaxle #

ep91lsdgbx.jpg

I already have the left hand axle, it is the right hand thats hard to find...anyone knows the dimensions in case i have to fabricate?

maas_joe

Fresh Recruit
Based on what i've read on Wikipedia, the LSD seen in the pics above is one of three types of LSD transmission made by Toyota (C153, C154 & C155).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission#C153

I would love if someone could post pics of the C153, C154 & C155 transmissions, or at least (from the pics above) tell me which one it is, or if all three would use the same driver (right hand) side axle.

C153
A 5-Speed Manual Transmission for FWD cars including a limited slip differential.

Gear ratios for this transmission.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Reverse Final
3.545 1.904 1.310 0.969 0.725 3.250

Applications:

Toyota Starlet GT Turbo

[edit] C154
A 5-Speed Manual Transmission for FWD cars including a limited slip differential.

3.545 1.904 1.392 1.031 0.864 3.250

[edit] C155

3.166 1.904 1.310 0.969 0.725 3.250

EL42GPTurbo

Fresh Recruit
I believe I have this c153 transmission. I have a 3E-TE 12v turbo engine in a 1992 tercel in California, USA. Its defiantly a e-series transmission with an external LSD. It has the gear ratios of a C52 transmission. I have a shorter axle on 1 side but mine is broke and I need to replace. I dont know where to get a new one, except I guess find a place to make me a custom one. Any more info on this transmission I would greatly appreciate.

Pics:
DSCN8514.JPG

DSCN8513.JPG

weeJohn

Lifer
You have the inside cup off the right side CV joint in the box already, from that you should be able to see how many splines your drive shaft needs to have or you could fit the box and use your original shaft to get a correct length for modifying it to suit.

Its a bit hard to tell you what shaft you need when we dont know what car it is going into mate, we dont really get the same models here as you do on that side of the Atlantic so its hard to say lol.

hardcoreep

Member +
I fail to believe that because the first picture above is mine, and I'm from Jamaica. The car is from was an EP91 and the trans-axle number was listed as C56-4A. Getting the necessary axle is very difficult. Next to impossible unless.