need help lads think main bearing is gone anybody ever replace these?

Mark-ep91

Member +
im savagely pissed out now with the car now ,well lads went to collect some parts for the car a while ago and noticed a slight knock noise when i was pulling into the meet the fella, went to the buddies garage and he reved the car and said he thinks its a main bearing on its way out so i cruised home and parked it up!

the car idols perfect no knocking

its starts knocking at bout 1500 rpm and when driving seems fine up to 2500 rpm only hear it when u change gear and also noticed i have my breather hoses on the engine hooked up to an oil catch can and has a hole it it to let pressure out but it just blowing air out even just ticking over now

any advice here would like to know should i replace the bearings? and how hard is it to do with the engine in etc?

or just get another engine and swap in that? im kinda against that do as u never no what condition it is in etc like this one

any help appriecated :D

adam ep

Member +
bearings are very easily changed , providing theres no crank damage its as eas as open cap take out old bearing put in new one , torque it up and repeat this on the other ones and one ya go :)

Mark-ep91

Member +
bearings are very easily changed , providing theres no crank damage its as eas as open cap take out old bearing put in new one , torque it up and repeat this on the other ones and one ya go :)

i need to take off the sump and have a look tomorrow to pissed off at it to start working on it now
do u no the best place to get these from? if the crank is okay that is

any guide to doing it or is it just take off the sump undo the bolts take out the old bearing push up the piston put new one in and tighten it back up again with the correct torque?

madman

Member +
best off taking a good look at the crank to make sure its o.k also was their much mileage on the engine as their must of bein some reason for it to spin a bearing. when you are replacing them you will need to check the clearances with either a micro meter or plastic guages

Ted

Member +
think youre talking about the big end bearings, not mains. and if its knocking its more likely big ends. they are easy, check for marking on crank and use a decent micrometer to check its within tolerance. and dont drive it any more until you do.

Mark-ep91

Member +
best off taking a good look at the crank to make sure its o.k also was their much mileage on the engine as their must of bein some reason for it to spin a bearing. when you are replacing them you will need to check the clearances with either a micro meter or plastic guages

thanks im not sure on the milage cause i bought the engine second hand and can never believe what they tell you,has been running perfect for the last 2 months hybrid at .9 bar for bout 2 weeks, and td04 at .44 bar for a month and a half and was only running td04 at .65 bar for the last 2 days so maybe that had something to do with it?

i dont have a micro meter or plastic gauges im starting to think i just need to buy a rebuilt engine off someone on here and keep this to forge or as a spear in future thing is wrecking my head!

the oil level was over half way when i checked it while it was hot too so i dont no how it happened

so take off sump and look for wear and pull at rods crank etc?

Mark-ep91

Member +
think youre talking about the big end bearings, not mains. and if its knocking its more likely big ends. they are easy, check for marking on crank and use a decent micrometer to check its within tolerance. and dont drive it any more until you do.

yes ted sorry i mean big end bearings only getting clued up on which is which now lol! thanks for that rep added to ye all :)

yeah its parked up just not to sure how i will go about checking whats gone etc

drain out the oil,take off sump then push the conrods checking for any movement and i guess ill take some pictures and post them up here?

corofin12345

Member +
shit buzz mark.. it does sound like big ends with the revs your stating tho but you may of caught it in time.. drop the oil out of her first to see how much filings you have.. pair of tights over a bucket is good to check for filings.. check all big ends mark cause it may be more than one knocking and as above, ull need to check for scores on the crank/dimensions etc.. replace all bearings while you at it if there isnt any damage.. im sure gedis will let ya know if he gives you a hand... try not start her anymore untill you get to the bottom end of things (excuse the pun)

Mark-ep91

Member +
shit buzz mark.. it does sound like big ends with the revs your stating tho but you may of caught it in time.. drop the oil out of her first to see how much filings you have.. pair of tights over a bucket is good to check for filings.. check all big ends mark cause it may be more than one knocking and as above, ull need to check for scores on the crank/dimensions etc.. replace all bearings while you at it if there isnt any damage.. im sure gedis will let ya know if he gives you a hand... try not start her anymore untill you get to the bottom end of things (excuse the pun)

thanks john rep added to ye all will update the thread in the morning with the damage :(

i wanna try do it myself hopefully get used to working on engines etc cause gedis place is bout 30mins drive from my place and have no way of getting my car there :(

Ted

Member +
put a set of big end bearings in it for sake of 80 quid, it MIGHT be ok. worth trying. couple of hours work(hint get someone else to clean the sealant off the sump for you. pain in the arse)

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
ha ha ha ha ..........TOLD YA SO :) :)

on a serious note just get a new engine save ya fucking about with this and taking a risk with it

Mark-ep91

Member +
rigth lads took apart the sump oil pickup today this is what i found

043ecf96.jpg

25f12360.jpg

db9569c1.jpg

oil pickup looks a bit clogged and would this have starved the bearings of oil?
Metal filings found in sump not sure if this is a lot or only a small bit?
when i looked for play in the bearings a can move 3 out the 4 with my hand bout and the 4th one has way more play than the other so i think thats the one thats knocking

any advice what to do next ? any help appriecated

corofin12345

Member +
wow, thats alot of filings mark.. and is my eyes decieving me once again or does it look like theres alot of water there too??

Mark-ep91

Member +
wow, thats alot of filings mark.. and is my eyes decieving me once again or does it look like theres alot of water there too??

ya seems like alot alright lol i think that was just the oil and light from the sun!
did some more investigation today and found

3400d944.jpg

a0f88cdb.jpg

fd83010b.jpg

18238867.jpg

anyone no the measurements or what i need to do to see if the crank is okay?it feels smooth by fingers and the damage dont seem to bad on the bearings but i never went near a bottom end before etc

Texx

Super Moderator
Run your finger nail across each crankpin journal, if you can feel any scoring then the crank will need a polish to see if it'll clean up and remain within spec of a standard crank, if it's no good then you'll need to have the crank ground and install over sized bearings or replace the crank. Going by the state of those bearing shells I wouldn't expect the mains to be much if any better.