Need Help With Tyres

steve-gers

Member +
Due to the state of the roads where I live, my front passenger tyre has a nice bulge in the sidewall and is now spreading to the tread area so needs changed this week and will be changed from the current 195/45/15 to a 50 profile. The tyre will be binned but the drivers side still has 3.5mm so I'll keep it for a spare. Anyway what i'm saying is I need 2 new front tyres and need help picking the best ones. My current ones are budget nankang ns2 and handle pretty good in the dry but crap in the wet although they wear very well. The qualities I need from the tyres listed most important first are:-

1. Wear

2. Grip

3. Price

4. Looks

5. Brand

The tyres I have seen are listed below with prices for 2 delivered beside them:-

Toyo Proxes 4 - Demontweeks (£85.46)
- rotationuk.com (£78.61)

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - Ears Motorsport (£79.20)
- allnewtyres.co.uk (£78.20)
- ebay (£77.50)

Toyo Proxes T1R - Demontweeks (£89.32)
- Black Circles (£85.32)

Barum Bravuris 2 - allnewtyres.co.uk (£75)

Firestone TZ200 - rotationuk.com (£73.13)

Firestone SZ80 - rotationuk.com (£74.43)

Kumho Ecsta KU31 - rotationuk.com (£76.85)

If anyone can give me information (mainly about wear and grip) on any of these or recommend any other then that would be great thanks.

Rory

Lifer
Get on ebay for tyres, can get the usual good tyres for alot cheaper than the above.

But Uniroyal Rainsport get my vote

Tanz

Lifer
I've nearly always went with Michelin pilots in the past until I reluctantly tried the uniroyal rainsport 2's and oh my god was I impressed,, wouldn't use any other tire now,in my opinion they are fierce good across the board...

madman

Member +
BFgoodrich g-force profilers are brilliant all round but may be a little bit more expensive but are an excellent all rounder

AdamB

Member +
Get on ebay for tyres, can get the usual good tyres for alot cheaper than the above.

But Uniroyal Rainsport get my vote

This ;)
Toyo's I found wear to quick, although they are a good price its a pain, and I didn't find them all that good as I got 2 punctures in 3 months.
Just brought some uniroyal rainsports 2's, they look good, fair price, that's all I can comment on at the moment their not on the car yet :haha:

steve-gers

Member +
I've nearly always went with Michelin pilots in the past until I reluctantly tried the uniroyal rainsport 2's and oh my god was I impressed,, wouldn't use any other tire now,in my opinion they are fierce good across the board...

What's the wear like on them? I think these will be the ones I go for.

steve-gers

Member +
This ;)
Toyo's I found wear to quick, although they are a good price its a pain, and I didn't find them all that good as I got 2 punctures in 3 months.
Just brought some uniroyal rainsports 2's, they look good, fair price, that's all I can comment on at the moment their not on the car yet :haha:

Is there a wear rating number?

Tanz

Lifer
What's the wear like on them? I think these will be the ones I go for.

I've heard some people say they can be pretty soft but from my experience of them the wear don't seem to be that bad at all as I said I personally think they are a very good all rounder and they impressed the hell out of me in the wet....

steve-gers

Member +
As long as they last about 10-12,000 miles+ then there fine. What pressure do you put in your tyres? I run 32 just now and seem to be wearing evenly across the tread.

Shaneyb

Fresh Recruit
I had the proxes 4 and have never had tyres wear so fast. Wouldnt recommend them. The T1R's have been much better for me. Have been going back to them for about 3 years now. I have heard really positive comments about the rainsports though.

steve-gers

Member +
I would get the proxes but just abit unsure of the wear. I know they grip very well and are cheap and they are on the rear of my car just now. Can anyone tell me how many miles I could expect out of them on the front?

AdamB

Member +
I would get the proxes but just abit unsure of the wear. I know they grip very well and are cheap and they are on the rear of my car just now. Can anyone tell me how many miles I could expect out of them on the front?

You'll be changing them again in 6 months time if it's a daily, my rears have gone and haven't been on the car long at all!

Tanz

Lifer
As long as they last about 10-12,000 miles+ then there fine. What pressure do you put in your tyres? I run 32 just now and seem to be wearing evenly across the tread.

Ill give you a right woman's answer now and tell you i wouldn't be counting the miles at all tbh..lol..but as for pressure id put the same as yourself in and find them great...

personally i dont like the proxes but thats just my opinion...

Mine lasted 12,000 miles, I've just checked when I last purchased some tyres and it was a year ago, I have this MPG calculator on my phone, where I put in the mileage every time I fill up, I did 12,000 since the last tyre change. I changed my tyres again to T1-R's last Friday.

Most of my driving is around 50-60mph A Roads.

steve-gers

Member +
I think the rainsport's are winning just now due to the wear. Would use proxes without hesitation but I drive a bit more aggressive than 50-60 and also sometimes on b roads when bored lol. Thanks for all info so far and rep added, does anyone have any more info particularly about the kumho's and the barum's aswell, thanks.

Texx

Super Moderator
I've just replaced a set of Yoko S-Drive AS01's, been on the car approx 2 1/2 years and covered at least 25,000 miles, no scary moments to report of using them during dry, wet, ice and snow conditions.