need help with wiring

kevo

Fresh Recruit
hey guys iv just joined this web site iv heard alot of good things about it :drive: , i need a bit of help i have a turbo timer and want to hard wire it in but am unsure so the wires i have to join could anybody help me with this like a wiring diagram for this i have a ep82 starlet i have a diagram with my turbo timer just need to know where to join the wires lol cheers guys :rockon:

Texx

Super Moderator
Can you post a copy of the wiring diagram for your timer up?

It would make it a little easy to give you some guidance. :)

kevo

Fresh Recruit
i am after the wiring diagram for the car m8 if i no what colour wires to join i can join them up lol

Texx

Super Moderator
Unfortunitely, your unlikely to find a wiring diagram for the car and if you do it's going to be labelled in Japanese.

kevo

Fresh Recruit
do they not all just go to the same wires tho? surely all ep82 models have the same wiring for a turbo timer il have a look 2moz at what type of timer it is its a 5in1 thing had a shift light and that with it

Texx

Super Moderator
I've never used a turbo timer myself, never seen the need. If knew what circuits it needs to connect to I probably be of more help.

I would think most of it you could wire to the back of the ignition switch?

kevo

Fresh Recruit
ok guys got the name of my turbo timer its a D1 SPEC MOTOR RACING SPORTS its a 5in1 it has RPM meter, Turbo timer, Auto timer, Volt meter and a Shift lamp, the wires i need to join go like this PINK to RPM, YELLOW to LAMP, BLACK to EARTH, GREEN to HANDBREAK, ORANGE to ACC, RED to +12V, (these are all thin wires and pretty long) there is 1 GREY wire that says it goes to RELAY MODULE there is also a small thin wire GREY from the module am thinking they both join 2gether??, now there is 3 short think wires comming from RELAY MODULE they are BLUE to KEYON, YELLOW to AIRCON and RED to +12v i hope this helps guys lol :haha: i just have no idear where i join these wires to

Last edited:

Texx

Super Moderator
Timer harness

Pink - RPM signal
The ignition feedback (IGF) signal from the igniter would be my guess for this one. This can be found at pin 7 of the big ECU connector. Pin 7 is the 7th wire on the top row of the connector counting from the left (wire side of connector).

Yellow - Lamp
Again I'm guessing, but I would think this would be wired to the lighting circuit to dim the illumination of the timer when the lights are on. You should be able to take a feed for this from the radio harness, or any of the switches in the dash that light up when you turn the lights on.

Green - Handbrake
Connect this to the wire that runs to the switch at the bottom of the handbrake lever.

Orange - ACC
Wire this to the wire from the ignition switch that has 12v when the ignition switch is in the ACC position. It's likely to be a thin wire, not one of the heavy wires.

Red - Battery live
Wire this to a live that has 12v regardless of ignition switch position. You can probably wire both Red wires together, but if you do this I would fuse this wire as close to the connection as possible. A 10a fuse would probably be safe enough.

Black - Earth
The obvious choice for this is to put a ring terminal on the end and bolt it to the body of the car somewhere, preferably an earth point.

Grey
Like you say, the obvious choice for this is to wire it to the Grey wire coming from the relay module.

Relay Module

Blue - KeyON
Wire this to the wire from the ignition switch that has 12v only when the ignition is ON.

Red - Battery live
Wire this to the wire on the back of the ignition switch that has 12v regardless of ignition switch position.

Yellow - Aircon
TBH, I'm not sure what this needs to connect to, but it's probably not needed so wouldn't worry too much.

You'll need a test light or volt/multimeter to find the exact wires to connect to, but if not I've got to fit an alarm and a stereo to the car tomorrow, so as long as the weather is good I'll note down the wire colours and locations for you while I'm there.

Last edited:

kevo

Fresh Recruit
that would be great m8 thx for the help so far is the big ecu connector that am looking for located above glove box??

Texx

Super Moderator
If you get down in the drivers footwell and look behind where the radio sits, you should see the ECU. There should be 2 plugs in it, one is bigger than the other.

Texx

Super Moderator
Timer harness

Pink - RPM signal
The ignition feedback (IGF) signal from the igniter would be my guess for this one. This can be found at pin 7 of the big ECU connector. Pin 7 is the 7th wire on the top row of the connector counting from the left (wire side of connector). It's a GREY/BLACK wire.

DSCF0823.jpg

DSCF0824.jpg

Yellow - Lamp
Again I'm guessing, but I would think this would be wired to the lighting circuit to dim the illumination of the timer when the lights are on. You should be able to take a feed for this from the radio harness, or any of the switches in the dash that light up when you turn the lights on.

You can find an illumination feed at the DARK GREEN wire in the grey connector of the radio harness. There's a light green and a dark green, make sure you take the dark green wire.

Green - Handbrake
Connect this to the wire that runs to the switch at the bottom of the handbrake lever.

You can connect in here at the multiplug behind the drivers kick panel. It's a Yellow/RED wire.

DSCF0820.jpg

DSCF0821.jpg

Orange - ACC
Wire this to the wire from the ignition switch that has 12v when the ignition switch is in the ACC position. It's likely to be a thin wire, not one of the heavy wires.

Use the BLUE/RED wire from the back of the ignition switch.

Red - Battery live
Wire this to a live that has 12v regardless of ignition switch position. You can probably wire both Red wires together, but if you do this I would fuse this wire as close to the connection as possible. A 10a fuse would probably be safe enough.

Connect the end of this wire to a 10 amp fuse and then connect the other side of the fuse to the big red wire from the timer relay module.

Black - Earth
The obvious choice for this is to put a ring terminal on the end and bolt it to the body of the car somewhere, preferably an earth point.

Grey
Like you say, the obvious choice for this is to wire it to the Grey wire coming from the relay module.

Relay Module

Blue - KeyON
Wire this to the wire from the ignition switch that has 12v only when the ignition is ON.

Use the BLACK/YELLOW wire from the back of the ignition switch.

Red - Battery live
Wire this to the wire on the back of the ignition switch that has 12v regardless of ignition switch position.

Use the WHITE/RED wire from the back of the ignition switch.

Yellow - Aircon
TBH, I'm not sure what this needs to connect to, but it's probably not needed so wouldn't worry too much.

Hopefully that should get you on the right track mate and don't forget to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before you start, your playing with a lot of high current wiring here and you don't want to go shorting something out. :)

Last edited:

kevo

Fresh Recruit
ok got it in but does not seem to be working, when i reconnected the neg bat terminal it flashed but then went off the hazard lights flashed also it also flash's on and off when u put down and pull up hand break lol any idears on whats gone wrong could it be the alarm system?? its says somthin about alternating the alarm keyon wire to acc or aircon on the intructions :confused:

Texx

Super Moderator
Where did you connect the black wire to?

The hazards flashing was probably the alarm resetting after the battery was disconnected.

Texx

Super Moderator
Have you got a circuit diagram for the timer? Some of the connections may not be correct.