need insurance company advice?

dac69er

Super Moderator
just rang elephant to try and get a quote for my car and was told they wont insure a car with any more than 6 modifications or a car that is only used for half the year. this was the same as there sister company admiral.

im currently with adrian flux and the quote isnt too bad, but just looking about to see what other prices i can get.

any ideas of companies that arent so strict?

GTti

Member +
What does it matter if a car is only used for half the year. You specify a mileage, I've never seen anything that stipulates how and when you perform those miles!

Ridiculous, or are you insinuating you only want to pay for 6 months insurance?

dac69er

Super Moderator
What does it matter if a car is only used for half the year. You specify a mileage, I've never seen anything that stipulates how and when you perform those miles!

Ridiculous, or are you insinuating you only want to pay for 6 months insurance?

no, i did make 100% clear that i want it insured for a full year, just with reduced mileage as i only use the car in the good weather and not for commuting or anything.
but as i said they wont insure a car with any more than 6 mods so not much point arguing about it to them tbh.

just rang adrain flux to confirm everything and added my current bhp reading with the power fc fitted and they now want £474 :eek:

im 25, 7 years no claims, no points or anything ever, 5000miles a year policy, kept in a locked garage in a low risk area :confused:

GTti

Member +
Rising insurance prices, I've not heard anyone who's had a cheaper renewal like for like.

Yeah I guess you can't argue about the modification aspect.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i think its a bit steep personally, surely i can get it lower than that considering i hardly use the damn thing.

i wanted to get something like a skyline, evo etc in the near future but by looking at these prices ill be paying shed loads!

Rory

Lifer
Dunc,

Thats what i pay on my GT, with more miles and im younger than you (24 - 6 NCB) but i basically live in the middle of a field (im not joking either!!)

More Neds buying these cars, and pranging them, so you have to expect the prices to go up unfortunetly. :(

G5EGM

Lifer
That seems like a good deal.....I'm with Sky off here n they'v got me insured for £600/yr n im 24 with 6 NCB, oh n my Glanza is insured for all mods n 200hp.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i almost live in a field. i can only just get broadband and i have fields in every direction bar one!

plus yours is more powerful than mine. im going to give bell a ring tomorrow and sky and see what they can do.
thought insurance was meant to go down as you get older and have more no claims, doesnt seem to be making much difference tbh?

Rory

Lifer
Im exactly the same, fields in every direction! :rockon: Love it.

Sky couldnt get near Adrian Flux with me, almost doubled in price..
Never tried Bell so cant comment.
NEver been asked about power of the car either, my brother did when he turbo'd the CRX, weird.

Thats what i thought, but this "recession" seems to be hiking up premiums... :(

i almost live in a field. i can only just get broadband and i have fields in every direction bar one!

plus yours is more powerful than mine. im going to give bell a ring tomorrow and sky and see what they can do.
thought insurance was meant to go down as you get older and have more no claims, doesnt seem to be making much difference tbh?

dac69er

Super Moderator
yeah, i just rang and said id just like a reqoute with an extra modification. told them i had a new ecu fitted and the overall bhp is up by 70 from standard.

he went away and came back with that. the insurer is trinity lane, been with them for years, since i first had the GT, would have thought i would get some kinda loyalty discount!

ill see what other quotes i can get then try and haggle them down a bit. the closer to £400 i can get the better!

dac69er

Super Moderator
ill give them a try tomorrow and see what i come up with. insurance companies seem to be a bit hit and miss, one that gives a good qoute for one person could be the most expansive for someone else!

scot-ish

Member +
i'd say thats a good price, im in the same boat as you, im only in the uk for 6 months, so with that, i pay my policy, then when im off to see, i fone them up, say i dont want my car insured anymore, then next year, if i stay with the same company, they deduct the amount that had my car not on the road for, and it comes off that years policy, if that makes sense

i think youve got a good deal, im 24, 2yrs ncb, and one ban declared, and i pay 1500 on a standard gt fully comp

dac69er

Super Moderator
my other GT i pay £350 fully comp with a few mods fully comp and one year less no claims. that is with elephant!

its not an horrendous price. the qoute initially came through at £357. that was with it insured to 170bhp. so 30 bhp has cost another £120, thats what is a bit annoying!

dac69er

Super Moderator
have you tried green light?

tried them and they wanted £200 more than adrian flux.

still need to try sky and bell, but noticed bell are in the admiral group so may be the same as both admiral and elephant.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Brentacre were good for me. Just have to give them a BHP and you are allowed any mods as long as it's less than the figure. Beat Sky by a whopping £1.05!

Lawrence

Member +
Beleive it or not but my sister works in insurance now and she told me insurance has actually gone up l8ly in genral 4 all car users.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
They are all like politicians, they only exist to screw you over. Just have to choose the one that does the least damage.