New Exedy clutch smells when car pushed hard.

penant78

Fresh Recruit
Hi,

I've renewed my clutch about 2 months ago, and I have a smell of something heating coming in the interior each time I push hard on the engine.
I usually drive my EP82 smoothly, just pushing it sometimes for a little fun.
The new clutch kit was an standard Exedy one, which has been fitted by a Toyota dealer with very good reputation. I have to say that it should be the only EP82 in Belgium, but the guy who fitted it said me that he had no problem to do it.
What could be the problem (if there is one)? Do you guys already experience that with your car?

Thanks.
Franklin.

dac69er

Super Moderator
what power you running mate? if its the standard exedy clutch it might be slipping? possibly oil leaking on it from the rear engine seal causing slippage? is it definitely clutch? could it be the brakes? they are similar fristion material and usually have a similar kind of smell.

dac69er

Super Moderator
they do have a kind of hot smell about them if driven hard. if its the clutch if you open the bonnet and sniff down near the gearbox it should be obvious if its that or something else

penant78

Fresh Recruit
Ok. If I was sure I'm not the only one to smell this I would be reassured.
So any experience welcome!

penant78

Fresh Recruit
Ok. As it's hard to define I can't really explain. We all smell things differently. And we're not yet able to send odors on the net (but I think it may be better not to :D:D:D ).

Paddy

Lifer
i got a std exedy clutch. its shit. slips and smells all the time. last one lasted only 20k. it gets hot far to quickly. i dont do quick starts either

Nwimie

Member +
have you noticed it slipping atal ? that would be the thing to watch out for.
i heard not very good reviews about the standard exedy clutches. but have not got experience of one.

penant78

Fresh Recruit
No, this one does not slip at all. Just that smell on big accelerations. I changed it just because the old one was slipping so I know how it goes with slipping.