new forged engine

mitchracer

Member +
hi all, hoping someone can give me some advice here. i have just put my newly forged engine into my car, connected up everything... i think! has started but is running at 1500rpm constantly and sounds lumpy, very much like a scooby, cant seem to time the distributor up exactly 100% but would it be doing this or do i have some other problem? timing belt not set properly? im not too sure, also my oil light is on constant on the dash but i have put the right amount in. ant suggestions? thanks

thefalls

Member +
Does it run at 1500rpm all the time or only when cold?
Go through all your vacuum pipes,maybe there is a leak.

To be more accurate you must use a timing gun to get it right. If you have wrong timing then then engine is bound to be lumpy.
I would also suggest to check the valve clearance.
What headgasket did you use? Were exact torque settings used for head bolts?
Any boiling/bubbling of coolant/water in the coolant bottle ?

Fire Chris [ 350ep70gr ] a pm,very helpful guy.

mitchracer

Member +
well it was struggling to start for a while then when i give it a bit of throttle while cranking it over it started but would cut out until it warmed up a bit, as for the valve clearance, and torque settings im guessing my engine builder would have got that right? but i used arp headbolts so would these be a different torque setting? and i used a 1.2mm metal headgasket. i will check for the coolant etc. im just hoping that iv done everything i can do correctly as i will be taking the car to get a base map set on saturday so i can begin to run the engine in, think they'd set the distributor for me if! it is that?

gedis

Member +
i would not even let the engine start with the oil light on, have you ever herd of priming the engine?

thefalls

Member +
Ok,now i get it.
You only fitted the engine,it was built by someone else.
I thought you built from scratch,my bad.

I think that you need to make sure every wire/connector is in the right place.
If the timing is wrong then it will create a lumpy idle.
Any aftermarket cams?

mitchracer

Member +
quick update, yes i only bolted back on the parts to the engine such as inlet, outlet, turbo etc and then fitted the engine, and found out the firing order was wrong, lol my stupid mistake while removing the distributor from the old engine even though i marked each lead...? still thats what happened. just have 2 things im struggling with now, the speedo is not working, is this a connector on the gearbox i have missed? and also cannot get the fan to work, it was running constant on the old engine which went pop but now nothing? any ideas, thanks

mitchracer

Member +
got the speedo working again now, just the fan which is really bugging me, i have one connector which i cannot find where it goes too, is the one which is below the dizzy cap, its the one which is connected with the lamba sensor lead and 1 other. just not getting any power to the fan, wouldnt mind if i could wire it into something which gives power when the ignition is switched on, not sure if this is anything to give a hint on what it could be but also my cigarette lighter doesnt work, nor does the digi clock?

mitchracer

Member +
Spot on! That's that's sorted just looking for a nice wire in the engine bay to use for my fan to come on with ignition. Thanks for your help btw

thefalls

Member +
You will have to trace the fan connector/wire to the engine loom.
I had the same issue,fan wouldnt come on and i found a poor connection where it was once cut and taped.
Whats the issue with the fan exactly?
Dont forget to rep,lol!

mitchracer

Member +
Good man, glad I'm not alone with these little problems lol, that's all sorted now too, only thing need to do now is find out what's clunking when I accelerate but I'm sure it's the gearbox mount. Tried reppin dude but system is closed ATM, will do asap!

thefalls

Member +
I filled all my engine mounts with sikaflex medium hard and it took about 5000kms then they settled nicely.
Engine feels firm and lesser vibrations than first time fitting them mounts!
I also fitted a torque damper.
Tried something i only heard about and it worked well.
Cant bother with poly bush as the in cabin vibration is too much for my daily driven car.