New Laptop help - Mac v Vaio v XPS

Well after over 4 years of constant use my vaio has given up the ghost.

Budget is about £600, my bro keeps harpin on at me that once you go ma you don't go back.

So a second hand MacBook pro, a dell XPS or a new vaio.

And what recommendations on processor as all the differen types have my head pickled!

Paul_JJ

Member +
I would stay away from Dell - they don't make computers, they just build them. I can build you one, better then Dell would!
Mac - I don't like Apple, would never buy one personally.

Vaio - not the best laptops - designed mainly for multimedia usage, also Sony makes pretty good Screens -)

To give you an advice, I need to know why do you need a laptop, what do you do on them? Do you carry it with you all the time? or using it at home? Is the weight and battery life important factors for you? Do you play games on the Laptop? Or is just to watch some videos?

Paul_JJ

Member +
It's all depends what you want from your laptop guys. Just like a car - and this thread reminds me now - Honda vs Toyota - never ending one.

You try to play games on the Mac, or run certain professional software and I wish you luck with that. Nobody said that windows is the best - it's a free architecture x86 compatible, you can run any OS you want, Linux, Unix, Solaris - anything you want!

Be exactly the same talks about the IPhone - which I think is shit! At least for me, but someone might find it the best mobile phone! (if they can afford it).

dan_ep82

Member +
if you want to play games then you would't want a laptop anyway! my macbook is just as fast as the day i bought it, the OS is so user-friendly just like the iPhone!

Paul_JJ

Member +
if you want to play games then you would't want a laptop anyway! my macbook is just as fast as the day i bought it, the OS is so user-friendly just like the iPhone!

With 1 day battery life (on the phone)? And you can't even buy a spare battery - bloody "awesome" design! I won't be surprised if Apple will go bust in 5 years time!

Most of the modern laptops can play decent games - sorry not macs!

I would stay away from Dell - they don't make computers, they just build them. I can build you one, better then Dell would!
Mac - I don't like Apple, would never buy one personally.

Vaio - not the best laptops - designed mainly for multimedia usage, also Sony makes pretty good Screens -)

To give you an advice, I need to know why do you need a laptop, what do you do on them? Do you carry it with you all the time? or using it at home? Is the weight and battery life important factors for you? Do you play games on the Laptop? Or is just to watch some videos?

If Vaio and Dll XPS' aren't goof laptops what are, I have had advent HP and Packard Bell and they were all worse than the vaio.

I'll be using it for web browsing, Office programs like PP etc but they are available for Mac, I like to use photoshop and am trying to learn illustrator. I would play Call of Duty the odd time but tbh its too much of a distraction for me when studying and working.

Also I paid 1200 for the vaio 4 years ago, it was great 2GHZ dual core and 4mb ram but it did slow down and I had to remaster about 3 times. I tink the Mac may outlast an equivalent as my bro has a 2008 macbook and is still way quicker than my vaio.

Can you not run partition on a Mac and put a windows portal that can run any windows program?

I am seeing more positives with the Mac, they also have double the battery life of the equivalent spec windows ones 3.5hours v 7hours.

Johnny_C

Lifer
If Vaio and Dll XPS' aren't goof laptops what are, I have had advent HP and Packard Bell and they were all worse than the vaio.

I'll be using it for web browsing, Office programs like PP etc but they are available for Mac, I like to use photoshop and am trying to learn illustrator. I would play Call of Duty the odd time but tbh its too much of a distraction for me when studying and working.

Also I paid 1200 for the vaio 4 years ago, it was great 2GHZ dual core and 4mb ram but it did slow down and I had to remaster about 3 times. I tink the Mac may outlast an equivalent as my bro has a 2008 macbook and is still way quicker than my vaio.

Can you not run partition on a Mac and put a windows portal that can run any windows program?

I am seeing more positives with the Mac, they also have double the battery life of the equivalent spec windows ones 3.5hours v 7hours.

sounds like you have already made up your mind for a mac richie!

Mikey B

Lifer
Get the mac if you don't like the OS then you can run Windows or if you like both OS then you can run both windows and Mac os at the same time with some software.

It will be more versatile for you to get the mac in my opinion.

Paul_JJ

Member +

Never said that HP or PBell was any better then Sony -)

Good laptops - good value for money - Samsung and Asus. And one of the best for business would be the IBM.

2Ghz Dual Core with 4 GB of RAM - pretty good Laptop!

Samsung made a laptop with 8 hours battery life in 2004, so Mac doesn't impress me much and never will. If both laptops IBM compatible then the OS won't make a lot of difference in battery life 10-15% may be, but not 50% for sure.

Samsung is pretty reliable as well and they actually make stuff unlike many other manufacturers.

Photoshop doesn't work properly on the mac as far as I know, unless you emulate windows or install windows separately.

Photoshop doesn't work properly on the mac as far as I know, unless you emulate windows or install windows separately.

Lol I'm pretty sure the adobe cs5 suite is pretty seamless on macs as most photographers etc use macs.

Can you buy IBM off the shelf or do you have to be a business customer?

dan_ep82

Member +
With 1 day battery life (on the phone)? And you can't even buy a spare battery - bloody "awesome" design! I won't be surprised if Apple will go bust in 5 years time!

Most of the modern laptops can play decent games - sorry not macs!

lol most smartphones have 1 day battery life if you cain them all day using mine normally i get 2 - 3 days, apple go bust? lmao they got more money than us government! 76 something billion!

addz

Member +
I have run Packard bell, and Sony laptops in the past without too much bother. Personally I don't like Dell products either, just fail on me.

I want an iMac myself mainly to see what the crack is with them, apparently they are awesome, and I just want to experience that awesomeness. If I were to buy an iMac, I would partition it with Windows. Go for Apple, if you don't like it, you can always flog it on without too much bother.

I don't like the iPhone, I am pro Android - HTC

Paul_JJ

Member +
lol most smartphones have 1 day battery life if you cain them all day using mine normally i get 2 - 3 days, apple go bust? lmao they got more money than us government! 76 something billion!

Iphone has the worst battery life out of the all the smart phones. You can't even bluetooth the video or an mp3 using an Iphone - what a piece of junk! Not to mention that you have to pay for everything, even bloody insurance is special rate for an Iphone - what is so special about it? just a junk phone, which doesn't work in the cold, doesn't work in the hot and easily broken!

Nokia used to be well ahead, with over 50% share worldwide - look at it now?

With Android and free source software - Apple will deffo experience problems.

Don't know about their customer service! May be it's good, no idea.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Lol I'm pretty sure the adobe cs5 suite is pretty seamless on macs as most photographers etc use macs.

Can you buy IBM off the shelf or do you have to be a business customer?

Of course you can buy IBM off the shelf. But it's not cheap and I doubt you will ever buy it, it's for business!

The Software Engineers (which I know personally) use PC for work, definitely not macs, even though some of them are using macs at home, but not for work.

Probably you won't need their level though, so if you already made up your mind then go for it. It's your choice and it's your money.

dan_ep82

Member +
i have had all types of smartphone and once apon a time used to be anti iPhone! then i eventually ended up with a 3gs and was hooked, why should you be able to bluetooth tracks ? thats copyright