New purchase

gtevi

Member +
I have a few questions I'm hoping you legands can help with. Firstly
I've flushed the radiator and cooling system out about 20 times inc taking thermo out and shoving garden hose through bother ends and also doing a coolant chemical flush. I've changed 1 of the coolant hoses the other has been ordered. Though I'd had it cleaned but still after driving for half hr and letting it cool down and checking coolant it's dark/dirty. It's not oily judt dirty/rusty am I missing something.
Next.. the heater has been disconnected. It has obviously stopped working so they've disconnected the hose from thr bulkhead I've heard it's a big job removing the whole dash board so that could be the reason. Can this have anything to do wuth the dirty cooling system ? Or is my car just full of rust?
Next.. seems to maybe be running rich, it's idling fine but quite a strong smell when running. Could it just need a tune st the local mechanic.
Next.. I attempted to take the exhaust manifold out to bore 2nd and 3rd lumps, but fail because of the full size rad and AC so I couldn't get to the bottom 4 bolts.
Any ways around this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dac69er

Super Moderator
The heater matrix usually rots out if the cooling system is poorly maintained. They bypassed the matrix as it likely leaked so the rest of the system is pretty rough. Best thing you can do is to keep running and flushing it a few more times. Heat cycles will dislodge the years of crap in the system. You can buy cooking system flush stuff to help the process along.

For the idling, first does it have any modifications? Have you tried checking the ECU for error codes as a starting point?
If it doesn't have a cat, it will be a bit smelly anyway.

I assume the bottom 4 bolts you are talking about are the ones between the manifold and turbo? I've never found them that bad to get too??? Removing the rad will help. If you are doing coolant flushes etc, then that would be the perfect time to attack those nuts as you can remove the rad then

Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
I had to put a core in mine, lovely job :)
The dashboard is pretty straightforward to remove it's the wiring loom that's connected to it in awkward positions that will annoy you lol, plenty of pics in my thread about it.
To disconnect the turbo from the manifold I used an offset spanner :)

Reactions: Jay

gtevi

Member +
Yeah the heater looks like its staying disconnected.
Just dropped her off at the mechanic to get a good once over as I've only just bought it and I'm no mechanic, and it's also got insanely low kms. So not sure if it's been wound back..
Anything I shouldn't get him to pay any special attention too?
And yeah ill give the mani another go when I get it back.. I have very limited tools but my neighbours have all the gear.