New rear calipers installed....handbrake not working?

davehart

Member +
I've just done the rear discs, braided lines and fitted brand new rebuilt rear calipers both sides.

Brakes have been fully bled.

Handbrake lifts up, retracts the cables but does not stop the disc. I've had a fiddle with the adjuster on the cable and that makes no difference, still doesn't grab.

Any suggestions or have I missed something?

dac69er

Super Moderator
could be duff calipers. had that before with recon ones for an mx5. had to make a frankenstein mixture of the new calipers and the old pistons with their internal mechanisms. worked a treat.

how many times have you pulled the handbrake up and down as it can take a few pulls to get the piston to adjust itself correctly. also coul could try adjusting the piston a little further in if you can. is the piston actually moving at all when you pull the hand brake?

davehart

Member +
I pulled it up and down a fair few times :) Packed up for today.

I know the mechanism works as it pushed the piston out when I tried it after I'd got the calipers back. I'll take the calipers off again tomorrow and get the wind back tool on them just to check for movement.

I hope its not the rebuild calipers, I know they did have some issue with the rebuild due to worn parts on it.

davehart

Member +
Well, I got bored and it was bugging me so went back out and jacked it up :)

It just needed the pistons brought out a little more as they were to far in for the handbrake to start.

Wound those out a little, put back together and the handbrake is perfect. Job done :)

Rory

Lifer
Did you bleed the calliper with the cable disconected? That way it will let the calliper and piston find its neutral posistion then connect the cables and adjust.
Alot easier than winding the piston out by hand..

5e colin

Member +
disconnect the cables as rory says and pump the pedal til pistons hit the disk then give her another bleed to make sure al bubles are gone then connect the cables and tighten up