Newbie just bought Glanza need advice on fixing it up - Pics & questions :)

goatsandhoes

Fresh Recruit
Hello All! Me (Dave) and my girlfriend (Alice) have just bought a Glanza (really its hers but im jealous lol) We bought it knowing it wasn't perfect and needed some work but want to do it "right" so thought we would take some pics of the faults to show you to get some advice and guidance :)

Below is the car the day after we bought it and threw some soap and polish on it! She was all dusty and had been sat up for a month or two so we treated her! :)

1. Fault number one doesn't require a pic because you know what a set of dials look like. When driving the car in the dark for the first time we noticed (hard not too) that the light in behind the dials does not illuminate when the head lights are on... the needles light up so there is a tiny bit of light but no lightest dials... any ideas? is it just bulbs in behind there or is it LED's on a circuit board?

2. The interior light does not illuminate when trying to switch it manually or opening the door.

3. (See the top two pictures) What is this bumper? From all the pictures ive seen of Glanza's I have never seen one with a big oval for a badge? (I am presuming a Toyota badge). Does anyone know if this is a special type or bumper/ a non-special off a base model maybe? And if anyone knows where I could get a badge to cover up that horrid gap I would be greatful. Measurements and 120mm long by 60mm tall.

4. What can I do about my skirts hanging off? is it a simple case of getting more clips?

5. THE BIG RED BUTTON?!? - What does it do?! I am to scared to press it in case something explodes lol.

6. Some numpty has done something dodgey when fastening the bolts for the coilovers?! :( Looks quite bad, when viewing the car he told us that they were loose because he had just removed a "not so tidy" strut bar.... but we come back and find all the threads buggers after picking it up from MOT.... any suggestions?

Sorry for the long rant guys but I would just love to make this car perfect for the mrs!
Thanks in advance, Dave :)

Phil

Super Moderator
Well first of, a warm welcome, i hope you will enjoy trawling through the site for info, its truely immense the volume and quality of stuff posted on here.

as for your issues, nothing looks terminal, some look annoying but hopefully with some help form the super members on here you should be fixed up and flying in no time.

Good luck.

Phil

PS, Nice car.

dac69er

Super Moderator
1. probably just needs replacement bulbs or the previous owner had the clocks out and didnt connect them back up properly. a bit of a fiddly job, but not hard.

2. comment problem. check there is power at the plug. probably just needs a bit of work on the light unit to make sure the connections are 100% as the rivets get crap with time. also check the door switches are these are common issues too.

3. i would just buy a toyota badge from a breaker or ebay. that should get that sorted. ill admit, ive never seen one like that before!?!?

4.a few ways you can do this. either new clips and double sided tape. or just go at it with some sikaflex or similar and bond it back on. either method will work.

5. 99% rear foglight switch.

6. the knackered ones are only the ones in the body for the strutbrace. the ones that hold the suspension on are fine, so its not dangerous. not much can be done about the other studs as one looks snapped off. could try rethreading them with a die, or attempt to replace them. but if your not fitting a standard toyota rear strutbrace, you will be fine. i would be tempted to cut them off and be done with it!

goatsandhoes

Fresh Recruit
Brilliant that was just what I was looking for guys!

So an after market rear strut brace will use the mounting points for the where the suspension struts come through?

dac69er

Super Moderator
the rear suspension only comes through on 2 of the studs. the other 2 are in the body and are there so the optional extra and some aftermarket rear strut braces can fit fitted. mk1's done come with this extra studding ;)

Phil

Super Moderator
As dac says the interior light is probably a connection problem, have a fiddle and check the bulb and you should get sorted.

give those door switches a good workout also.

that bumper is puzzling me now.

Phil