noob with a turbo question !

bridog

Member +
hi all ,

recently i have come across a starlet ina local garage , this garage couldnt get the car to run propery after it went in for a head gasket and timing belt change . I know the guy quite well and basically took it off him and fixed it ( it was the old water / vacum problem on the throttle body ) .

So i have given it an oil and filter change aswell as a engine flush , to get rid of all the crap that been sucked into there ,

But now when i drive it , it wont boost past 0.4 weather its on the high or low setting . ( pressing the button makes no difference )

I have looked at pics of the ep82 engine bay and all the pipes are going to where they should , from what i can see . Is there a common thing that i should know about ?? This car has been sitting for about a year so am i looking at a seized actuator or turbo ??

any help would be great and rep will be added

thanks

bridog

Member +
ye ive recently put all the intercooler and piping and the turbo piping back on , but ill give it another check just to be sure

i know it might seem like a dull question but if tyhe timing was out , would that make a diff to the boost ?

bridog

Member +
ive just been out in the rain to have alook , i cant see any small pipes by the left headlamp , ive got a washer bottle behind the drivers headlamp and a fuse box close to the passenger headlamp .

any other place it could be ? ive got one similar to it by the engine mount , which has vacum pipes going to it ,, is this it ???

Glanza_cl

Member +
if you have a ep82 they don't have the boost restrictor. only the ep91 has it.

could well be actuator related... how does it drive? does the boost come in on time and boost hard but just wont pass 0.4?

bridog

Member +
ye i got a ep82 . ye sounds about right -- it drives fine , and seems to boost good , just wont pass 0.4 ish :(

rickie

Member +
You should consider checking your turbo gaskets also if you do not find fault with your actuator. But it's probably just the actuator spring that has seized up due to sitting for a year.

Last edited:

bridog

Member +
ye im gonna wait till its stops pissing it down and have a check .

whats the best one to replace with , hks ?? JAM ??

Glanza_cl

Member +
HKS, tried and tested and on about every starlet around lol.

has a good hard spring, they sell cheap on sumo power if you want one for a good price :)

monka

Member +
if you have a ep82 they don't have the boost restrictor. only the ep91 has it.

could well be actuator related... how does it drive? does the boost come in on time and boost hard but just wont pass 0.4?

no, but they still have a boost solinoid.

up the top of the cam belt cover mate, nearest end to the bulk head, sounds like its stuck in low boost

have to say guys, some shit help above

bridog

Member +
right ive been out to the car at lunch time today , and the actuator rod seems to move if you wiggle it ? is this normal ? or should it be rock hard kinda thing ??