Not boosting correctly!!

Wills21

Member +
Been haveing problems with boosting since fitting a front mount air filter.
If you can have a look at this thread first to get an idea about what I am talking about because I'm finding it hard how to explain my problem lol.
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?2277-Hi-Low-Solenoid-Bypass

My car already had a fmic and aftermarket bov and the hi/lo boost setting was still in place. So I have none of whats in the green circle. I have done what is in the black circle.

Before fitting the air filter relocation kit the car was boosting at about 10psi, at the minute its only boosting at just over 6psi. I get a bit of chatter from the air filter at the front and the bov is not working? I am seriously confused :confused::confused:

Any help would be really appreciated and rep given accordingly. Or if there is someone that has some free time around Dublin and wants to take a look?
Thanks in advance.

GP82

Member +
Hey, as far as i remember if you are still using the stock dual port wastegate, you need to make a nipple on your front mount air filter pipe and place the piping that is in that link with the bigger green circle. When you installed your air filter relocation, did you block this pipe off?

Wills21

Member +
Hey, as far as i remember if you are still using the stock dual port wastegate, you need to make a nipple on your front mount air filter pipe and place the piping that is in that link with the bigger green circle. When you installed your air filter relocation, did you block this pipe off?

Oh I see, where do I run that pipe to if I want to bypass the hi/lo boost setting though?

GP82

Member +
Oh I see, where do I run that pipe to if I want to bypass the hi/lo boost setting though?

That pipe in the bigger green circle is going into the air filter intake pipe from factory, as you have now removed the intake pipe that has 16 valve EFI on it and installed a aftermarket air filter relocation kit with new piping, you will need to get a nipple tapped in onto your new air filter relocation pipe and place the pipe pictured in the bigger green circle in that link.

Wills21

Member +
This should shed some light on it
DSCF1646.jpg

DSCF1647.jpg

What exactly do I need to do to bypass the hi/lo solenoid?

I might be a having a blonde moment but I'm not exactly following ya GP82

GP82

Member +
Right, your plumbing of the vaccum lines looks wrong going by that first pic as i can see one line going into the factory boost solenoid. That does look like the stock dual port actuator, but can you confirm this?

If you look down at the wastegate actuator you will see that there are two ports coming off it. The port facing up towards the headlights is where you want to put a vacuum line for the pressure source from the nipple on the turbo's compressor housing. The second port that is kinda facing the firewall, you want a vaccum line coming from there going into a nipple that you will have to get tapped onto your new air filter relocation intake pipe.

Wills21

Member +
Right, your plumbing of the vaccum lines looks wrong going by that first pic as i can see one line going into the factory boost solenoid. That does look like the stock dual port actuator, but can you confirm this?

If you look down at the wastegate actuator you will see that there are two ports coming off it. The port facing up towards the headlights is where you want to put a vacuum line for the pressure source from the nipple on the turbo's compressor housing. The second port that is kinda facing the firewall, you want a vaccum line coming from there going into a nipple that you will have to get tapped onto your new air filter relocation intake pipe.

Sorry I havent been able to get online sooner mate, I have no Internet access at home, have to use the local libary. It's actually an adjustable actuator fitted. There is only one port on it as far as I can remember. That is connected to the turbo's compressor housing, there is a T piece on that going to the factory boost solenoid.

dark_knight

Member +
i think we need to address your original problem of improper boost (levels) first. was the car boosting fine previously then all of a sudden it started having this problem..? what changed when this happened. this may help us further diagnose the problem. as GP82 says, that's one of the easiest ways to bypass the solenoid so just go through his text again to understand it..

GP82

Member +
Ok, if it is an adjustable actuator, it is abit easier to set up; loose the t-piece, get a length of vaccum line that will go from the port on the wastegate straight to the pressure source on the turbo's compressor housing and you should be sorted.

Take it out 5th gear 60mph, foot down and keep your eye on the boost guage. If your target pressure needs changing, adjust accordingly from the adjustable actuator. You turn the actuator clockwise or make it shorter to increase boost and vice versa to decrease. If you are still not hitting you target boost pressure, i would start looking for leaks on hose joiners, vaccum lines on inlet manifold.

Wills21

Member +
Ok, if it is an adjustable actuator, it is abit easier to set up; loose the t-piece, get a length of vaccum line that will go from the port on the wastegate straight to the pressure source on the turbo's compressor housing and you should be sorted.

Take it out 5th gear 60mph, foot down and keep your eye on the boost guage. If your target pressure needs changing, adjust accordingly from the adjustable actuator. You turn the actuator clockwise or make it shorter to increase boost and vice versa to decrease. If you are still not hitting you target boost pressure, i would start looking for leaks on hose joiners, vaccum lines on inlet manifold.

Got sorted by doing tat mate, the thing that baffled me is that before I moved anything the car was boosting at 10psi and afterwards 6psi. I've adjusted the actuator to 10 psi again. I thought something was wrong because the boost dropped.

Thanks for your help lads, repped.