Not running proper since SAFC2 Fitted

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Just fitted in my SAFC2 there and followed the proper start up sequence with inputting the data and cylinders and no throttle sensor and stuff and the car fired up ok and warmed up perfect.

When the car warmed up after a few minutes the revs just fell and the car cut out, i started the car again and sometimes it'll not start other times it idles very low almost to the point it wants to cut out again and if you rev the car up it's awful spluttery and as if it's missing.

I've disconnected the SAFC2 unit and it's still doing the same thing.

I checked all the wires and they are hooked up proper as the guide says and i've not touched anything in the engine bay so know i've not touched anything there that might cause a problem.

Anyone got an idea into what it might be to suddenly run rough.

There is no smoke coming from the exhaust to suggest anything serious.

Just want to get a few ideas before i go and disconnect all the wires for the SAFC2 and see if it fires up ok.

The idea's i've got just now are "dirt in the petrol, Plugs, Leads or the dizzy cap" but since i installed the SAFC2 i wanted to see if anyone else had any issues like this.

Cheers

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Yeah checked the manual and for the starlet it says it has a pressure sensor which was numbered 1 in the booklet so inputted the proper settings. (even checked the info from another post made the other day about wiring it up)

There isn't much to wiring it up -

1 x power
2 x Earth
1 x knock sensor
1 x RPM
1 x pressure sensor

Was thinking over dinner and i had a thought of that since the pressure sensor tells the ecu the air/fuel i was thinking that because the SAFC isn't setup 100% for fueling would that have mucked up the settings which would enable the car to run rough, so if i joined the pressure sensor back up to the ecu then the ecu would control the air/fuel itself and not be overruled by the SAFC2 unit in adjusting the setting.

Chris@CCM

Member +
have u got both grounds grouped together ? is the air folw wiring going the rite way ? as in map sensor wire white wire then yellow wire then ecu ? thats the only things i can think of mate was just looking over the book for the safc2 and there the only things in it . if u unplug the safc2 make sure u join the map sensor wiring back up as the ecu will have no map sensor reading

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Yup got the brown earth wire closer to the ecu than the black wire as stated in the book and yeah got the map sensor wired up proper.

Tomorrow i'm going to rejoin the map sensor back upto the ecu and see what happens, let the ecu get the map reading instead of it going thru the SAFC2 then into the ECU.

I've got a sneaky suspicion since the SAFC2 was just turned on and it not having a good map it's screwed up the map sensor readings to the ecu.

goldenvtr

Member +
If you just wire in the safc2 and set up the 1st screen it wont adjust anything itll just give readings.

go want the pressure type sensor, 4 cylnder and the arrow facing diagonaly down to the right. (think thats all that on the initial setup)

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
If you just wire in the safc2 and set up the 1st screen it wont adjust anything itll just give readings.

go want the pressure type sensor, 4 cylnder and the arrow facing diagonaly down to the right. (think thats all that on the initial setup)

I just wired it up and turned on the ignition and followed the manual when it said to setup the sensor to Pressure as from the installation guide it listed the starlet as PR1 so on the in and out screen i left it as In - 01 Out - 01

And i inputted that the car was a 4 cylinder and cause the ep82 ain't got a throttle bit i set it to the ** setting since it says to put it to that in the manual and i run that setting on my AVCR as well and that works fine.

Turned the ignition off and back on again and fired up the car and it ran fine till the car was warmed up and i went to do the knock sensor setup bit and the revs just fell from the normal idle to the first line above the 0 and stayed there for a few seconds then the car cut outand when you start the car back up the revs are very low and when you try rev the car splutters and misses.

Tomorrow i'm gonna eliminate the map sensor and hook it back upto the ecu and see how that goes then take it from there.

Oh forgot should mention it's not the standard ecu the safc2 is wired upto it's a Blitz ecu and there is no FCD to add confusion to it.

goldenvtr

Member +
Try an initialize the setting on the safc2 then start again, see if that solves it, if not them im going to say a loose map sensor wire.

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Yeah gonna start fresh tomorrow and check all the wires and redo the connections just incase i never crimped one 100% and re-wire the map sensor back up to the ecu and see what happens.

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Small update.

Re-wired the map sensor wire back upto the ecu and started up the car and it idled for about 15secs before cutting out again.

Started it back up and it'll idle very roughly but upon inspection i discovered that i'm getting no fuel pressure on the regulator as the guage is at 0 so was thinking maybe my fuel reg is knacked or my fuel pump. I don't even get the usual whirring noise from the fuel pump.

Was wondering, is the fuel pump fused? incase it's blown a fuse to check that first before i order a new fuel pump.

Dave.

Member +
there was a guy here not long ago who had a seemingly broken fuel pump, and it was one of the relays, so try double checking them along with fuses...

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Checked all the fuses, in the engine bay and under the steering column and there all fine and same with the relays.

Lifted up the back seat and you can just hear a faint whirring sound but not the usual high pitched whirr that the walbro pumps usually make. When i first fitted the pump i could stand outside the car and hear the fuel pump whirring.

Reckon now it's fuel pump or reg related :(

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
Got the problem solved.

Turns out that the small bit of rubber/silicone hose that connects from the fuel pump to the metal pipe inside the fuel tank holder bit had rotted and had a huge gaping hole in it, so quick swap of the pipe and all was well again. :D

Another thing on my maintenence list i guess, check fuel hose inside petrol tank every few months. Don't want that going again and it being on the open road glad it was sitting in the garage when it went.

Problem solved :D fitting SAFC2 on sunday again.

benGT

Member +
let us know how you get on dude. I'm planning to fit mine very soon and wouldnt mind a heads up of any (other) problems...

TD04_5EFTE

Member +
let us know how you get on dude. I'm planning to fit mine very soon and wouldnt mind a heads up of any (other) problems...

No prob will do,

I had it fitted into the car already and nearly setup but due to the fuel hose on the pump having a hole i thought maybe i had accidently wired it up wrong so took it back out but i'll rewire it all back up on sunday.

I'll send you a private message when i get it wired up and the car started and let you know of any slight niggles.

Chris@CCM

Member +
Got the problem solved.

Turns out that the small bit of rubber/silicone hose that connects from the fuel pump to the metal pipe inside the fuel tank holder bit had rotted and had a huge gaping hole in it, so quick swap of the pipe and all was well again. :D

Another thing on my maintenence list i guess, check fuel hose inside petrol tank every few months. Don't want that going again and it being on the open road glad it was sitting in the garage when it went.

Problem solved :D fitting SAFC2 on sunday again.
the vary same thing happend to my car on the way home from work one day . glad u get it sorted mate