Octane booster

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
dont be using tesco they fuel is always full of s**t trust me im a mechanic use bp or shell u will end up blockin your injectors with crap then runnin lean and blowing your engine and with tesco prices always seem to be high u better using shell fuel saver unleaded i personally only put v-power in my starlet coz it 102 octane and jap fuel is 104+ so this is the closest u will get and the best for your car and u will notice a big difference in performance
Not a fan of octane boosters I just use tesco momentum 99 octane

dont be using tesco they fuel is always full of s**t trust me im a mechanic use bp or shell u will end up blockin your injectors with crap then runnin lean and blowing your engine and with tesco prices always seem to be high u better using shell fuel saver unleaded i personally only put v-power in my starlet coz it 102 octane and jap fuel is 104+ so this is the closest u will get and the best for your car and u will notice a big difference in performance

Not heard this about tesco fuel before ? Any one else heard of this? Cheers for the advice though if it's true

dac69er

Super Moderator
Not heard this about tesco fuel before ? Any one else heard of this? Cheers for the advice though if it's true

dont know if it was just coincidence, but i knackered 2 fuel pumps in quick succession when using tesco fuel a few years back. its been fine on that car since!

but saying that i have used tesco fuel in my girlfriends n/a ep91 and my car and bike and it has been fine.

i doubt it would block the injectors though. the pumps have filters on them. then the fuel pump in the car has a filter, then there is the fuel filter i the engine bay

mad_max926

Member +
heard bad stuff bout that tesco fuel friend had his integra dc5 "re-mapped" his mods were arc air box kit, exhaust, mugen manifold, and a rbc inlet manifold and made a measly 225 the mapper said the fuel was terrible.

also watched a comparision on fuels on 5th gear golf gti a scooby and something else. and they compared bp shell and possibly tesco but shell gave the best results.

imo shell is far superior to the tesco momentum.

my tuner told me to always run my car on v power but i cant believe how many people i know using regular unleaded

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have used regular unleaded. its fine. unless your car is mapped to the ragged edge on high octane fuel it will be fine. on the stock ecu, the ecu will drop back the timing if you get knock.

people worry too much. vpower is meant to be the best high octane unleaded out of the other competing brands, but the difference is minimal.

i think alot of the maltese lads can only get regular unleaded and they run good power and boost with no problems.

Nickzorz

Member +
Octane boosters dont work and sometimes sap power (even if its only 1 or 2 horsepower. They certainly dont give you the claims they promise on the bottle). Theres plenty of non manufacturer sponsered videos and literature out there.

Also out of all the petrol seller people. Tesco always seem to be the cheapest compared to bp (97 octane) and shell. I would use shell tbh but dont have one near me. So I have a choice of tesco and bp...and im not paying BP an extra 5p a litre when i can goto tesco and get 99octane petrol for less...sometimes when im low on cash I whack the peasents unleaded in the tank. My car doesnt seem to mind.

Caution. The below comment contains opinion:

With regards to octane boosters. When you think about it, your putting a liquid other than petrol into your petrol tank? WTF. I will leave the octane booster to the chavs on their mopeds.

Nickzorz

Member +

I thought shell was just 99 octane?

vpower used to be 100ron with 5% ethanol, but now its different all over the world. last time i heard it was 99ron.
octane boosters are a was of money.

neilsmith

Where i live shell v power is 97 octane. I have been using tesco momentum recently just beacuse its 5p cheaper than v power.
Also i notice that i get more miles on momentum than standard fuel.