dark_knight

Member +
i've got this on my b-pillar indicating tire size and pressure requirements:
- 175/60 R14 79H @ 2.0bar
- 185/55 R14 79V @ 2.1bar

i know all about the tire load and speed indexes etc but was curious if my train of thought is on the right path. given that there is no indication (at least on my sticker) which is for the front or rear, i'd assume the thinner tire (175/60) would be the one to go up front to allow it not to rub when at full steering lock.. but again, i'd also want to believe that since these are nose-heavy cars, i'd need the higher-pressurized tire (185/55) to be at the front to take up that load. it could either be the 175/60 at the front or the other way around.

so.. which is which..?
i currently have 205/50 R15s all round but this got me thinking as it'll soon be time to swap rubber and so i'm looking around for 205/45s to replace my current /50s..

Rev

Member +
When you look at racing Starlets they have wider tires up front with front wheel drive to control wheel spin and wider rubber up front I think for better braking as the front tyres do more work for braking.
I have some tyres rated over 240kph these have higher pressure 3.44bar 205/40's I guess the tyres on the b-pillar would match the top speed of the stock starlet 180kph ( speed cut ) .

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
ok. wider tires up front makes sense then.. :)
if it were to go to the extreme then it would be like a dragster with massive front treads and tricycle wheels at the rear.. :D

Rev

Member +
Weight over the drive wheels I guess , for braking though the tricycle wheels these would ideally match the front rear braking distribution. Of course wet weather has to be considered but tyre type helps here you can get wide tyres that are still very good in the wet .

Last edited: