oil around pcv valve

keirz

Member +
there is some oil around my pcv valve and the valve looks pretty manky.

there is no smoke at all (touch wood)
the car is boosting fine and generally running well (clutch may be slippng little on boost)

what could be causing this?

also how can you check if your oil crank seal is leaking?

if there was a problem with pistons wouldnt it be noticable in the driving?

Mike D EP82

Member +
there will probably be a rubber o ring on the valve check its not worn or torn, also crank seal check bottom of timing belt cover there will be oily marks on the block and sump if its leaking, and finally if there was a problem with the pistons depending what it is obviously, worn rings indicate blue smoke from the exhaust ie burning oil, bent conrods it would run lumpy, is there anything wrong with the car or is someone just telling you gash?

keirz

Member +
thanks mate.

what it is is that my clutch feels like its slipping when my car comes on boost. when i was checking in the engine bay i noticed the pcv valve. think the ring around the bottome may be screwed. i think i have a replacement from my old n/a too use.

cars running smooth with no knocking, smoking or rattaling of any kind.

the crank seal, i heard you should change when doing the clutch. also could a leaking crank seal cause the clutch to be comtaminated and slip? havant seen any oil around there. im just trouble shooting to try and find why my clutch may be screwed.

im very paranoid when it comes to my car.

MJA

Member +
from memory i think the cranshaft seal leaking is fairly common. I remember someone mentioning it on the old forum, could have been Jay, and it's only worth doing when the clutch is also being replaced as it's only an additional 15 or so minutes work. I don't think the clutch itself is in the firing line from oil leaking from the crankshaft.

keirz

Member +
cool. cant find any sign of it leaking. i changed the pcv valve today so hopfully this will stop the leaking from there.

if this doesnt stop the leaking what could be the problem?

Mike D EP82

Member +
well there are 2 seals one on the crank pulley side and one at the box side, it is possible to be contaminated but ud probably smell it, but it might just be the clutches last legs, either tht or ur car likes a wheelspin lol check the slave cylinder isnt knackered that could be another thing

jimmer

Member +
i had the same problem with oil around the pcv valve after my oil catch tank went on.(but it did develope to oil being sprayed) now before i start i don't wanna freak you out so this is a warning rather than my opinion on your situation, but i would get a compression test. Oil comin out of the pcv valve as a worst case senario is cracked pistons. I hope it is just the seal which it could well be, but to be sure a simple compression test should cancel that option. has your car got much done to it?

niv18

Fresh Recruit
Me i'm having a leak near the distributor, I dont know where the prob is coming anyone can help to sort this out.

Cheers,

Niven