Oil feed copper washer?

So I think I may have found the problem of my forever leaking oil line,

how many copper washers should there be were the oil feed bolts onto the block, should there be a copper washer on both sides of the oil feed, so 2 washers, my feed only has one washer

Mine only has one, I tried using an ordinary washer but that was an epic fail, obviousily and my car pissed its oil everywere, anyone any idea wer I could get the proper copper washers

Ant

Member +
Dean, did fitting the new washer solve the leak you have? I'm having the same issue & it could be an easy fix if yours stopped?

I'll pose this question to anybody else here that has had the same problem too?

Last edited:

Ant

Member +
After I had jacked the car up & got underneath it with it running I saw where the oil was leaking from, but, it seemed that once it was up to normal running temp it stopped leaking...? would this be down to either the oil (which is 10/40 semi synth) or simply a knackered washer? I guess trial & error with a washer & oil grade change would see it solved possibly:work:

Ant

Member +
Good shout there Mark I'll look to try them, the strange thing is that it stopped leaking when up to temperature? of course then under boost it would be flowing out, so I'll have to try the dowty's out & hope it stops it!

Ant

Member +
Should I assume that when the banjo & washers are removed then oil will start to fly out? obviously this is not whilst the engine is running....

wildchild

Member +
remove the one copper washer that you have and buy two of those. you cannot reuse them most of the time. buy two new washers and before fixing, clean the surface of the bolt and pipe and tighten firmly. sand/smooth any rough patches or rough surfaces on the pipe union if present. that will do the job. if its tightened correctly and firmly, it will not leak whatsoever. be it hot or cold.
you can find these washers at hardware stores or automobile parts dealers. auto repairmen might have spares left around after engine rebuilds as most of the copper washers and oil seals arent used and some have extra.

Ant

Member +
Is there any significance in the top washer having the small 'tab' jutting out? I guess it wouldn't but if anyone thinks otherwise....?

wildchild

Member +
as long as i know, the tab is present in the power steering hose only. its there so that the washer doesnt turn with the bolt when its tightened.

Texx

Super Moderator
Is there any significance in the top washer having the small 'tab' jutting out? I guess it wouldn't but if anyone thinks otherwise....?

It's a lock tab, it prevents the banjo bolt from coming loose. As long as the bolt is torqued correctly it's unlikely to come loose, so using a copper washer without the lock tab shouldn't cause any trouble.

triple j

Member +
i just used my old copper washer and a new 14mm one that came with the banjo bolt, i think the point of a copper washer is to squash slightly to give a seal.