Oil leak !!!!!!!!!!

gerard

Member +
i have oil on the frame of the car by the crank pully an around that area is my oil seal gone on the oil pump? as oil level keeps dropping below the oil mark on the dipstick every time i top it up.. between 30 or 40 km !! is this enough for the oil to leak this much or is my engine burning oil?

AdamB

Member +
Is there any blue smoke out the back?

Could either be the oil pump seal or crank seal. Another thing is it could be dripping down from the cam cover.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Change the oil to a thicker one - like 10W40 it will reduce the leak for a time being.

There are many seals which can possibly leak -)

DipStick Seal
Cam Seal
Crank Seal
Oil Pump inner/outer seal

The funny thing is if you're to replace a single one its better to replace them all at once, as usualy if you replace one the other one will start leaking over time...

dac69er

Super Moderator
If its pissing out that badly then i thicker oil won't make any difference.

only way to find out where its coming from is to get under it and have a look. May have to get the cam belt covers off to see anything

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Do not change the oil to a thicker based oil it will NOT stop the leak nor delay it!

As Dac has said you need to investigate the cambelt side, once you get the plastic cambelt covers off it should easily reveal where the source of the leak is coming from.

gerard

Member +
I have blue smoke but its only when i rev the car abit when stoped and when pulling off thats it, iv been behind my car when the girlfriend is driving it an no smoke of any sort, ya the cam belt cover will have to come off see can i see any oil,, but there is never a trace of oil under the car on the ground,,

Paul_JJ

Member +
I didn't realise that it was pissing badly, but of course then it wouldn't make much difference. For a small leaks it was always helping me to go for the thicker oil till I could find the time to fix the car.

Are you saying that your engine is loosing 2L of oil every 30 KM? I wouldn't ever drive the car till the problem solved then full stop!

gerard

Member +
Its loosing alot what ever it is because iv to top it up every second day,, i removed the sandwich plate adaptor from behind the oil filter as that was leaking but still the same,, so where ever the oil is comin from, from around the crank pully area i hope to get it sorted and that is the problem for my oil loss, and not the engine, and im sure the engine couldnt burn that much oil in a few days and not have constant smoke coming out the exhaust??

gerard

Member +
well the engine was forged last year an new oil pump and seal put in it,, it aint loosing as much now since i took the sandwich plate off,, but there is still a sup of oil leaking from this side of the engine noting major but want it sorted,, no rush doe,,

it takes a full dipstick of oil ever 30kms, never leaves an oil patch on the floor and engine was forged last year. think this is adding up to me.

personally I'd say the rings are shot/not built right and the engine is drinking oil.

I've seen this first hand, currently doing a 3sgte that drank 2ltrs of oil every 500miles, never any smoke bout the exhaust or leaks on the engine. Turned out to be rings and it was burning a tiny bit each stroke but ever every stroke of 500miles thats alot of oil. ripped it all apart and it was evident to see.

gerard

Member +
eh no sorry i ment to say below the max level on the dipstick, if it was the other way round id never keep oil in it and to right my engine wouldnt be worth a wank,,

the problem for it to be loosin so much oil was the oilfilter sandwich plate, that was removed and oil level did not drop,, but i do still have oil around that area on the frame of the car by the crank pully and oil level has droped a little noting major doe,,

erm right ok,

so how much oil is it loosing? take a measurement guess of how much you have to put back in each time.

This information is important to get right

davehart

Member +
Just something to note, it could well be the sump not sealed correctly or may well be the oil pump.

I've had a leek on mine for about 6 years now in the same place. When I did the cambelt all the seals behind the covers were fine and I managed to trace the leek from one corner of the sump. It's on the job list to fix :)