oil light flickering on & off. i think ?

kungfu panda

Member +
hi, pease could you all help me please? was on the motorway last night and notice a red light was flashing on the dash on the right hand side in the shape off an oil can with drips coming from it. is this the oil light ? was sitting roughly 3.5k when the light stated flickering so i dipped the clutch and it was still flickering. so i plled into the nearest garage and checked the oil level and it was jst below max also there was not smoke coming from the exhaust. when i started the car and started driviing again the has stayed off now. also when you just have the igniton on should the light come on as well ? like the battery and the square with the wavey lines above it, then when you start the engine it goes out.

sorry to sound like a complete idiot but help would be greatly appreciated

enright82

Member +
i think the oil can light may be your oil pressure switch mate, as for the other lights thats normal. someone may correct me on the oil light tho

stedee

Member +
all the lights should come on and then go off, its a check when the ignition comes on to check all the lights work

kungfu panda

Member +
cheers for thr info, but i know that the lights should go out when the engine starts. but when the ignition is on the re is no oil light on, is this normal ? also any ideas on what the fault maybe causing the oil light to flicker on & off sometimes (its not been doing it the night and i have drove 50miles)