Oil light flickering

Sparky

Member +
Hey guys noticed the other night after driving the GT quite hard, just for a minute or two that the oil light started flickering when I left it to tick over for about a minute or so after the hard drive. Thought it was strange and it then came on when I went round a roundabout quite quickly and went straight back off.

My imediate thought was low oil, but I have just checked it today (the car has been stood since monday) and the level is above 3 quarters so what else could it be?

Found it quite strange

GTdan

In The Closet
fill it up to max and see if its that - if going round corners sharply oil will surge to one side and could cause light to come on.

its also your oil pressure light, so could be low oil pressure - but would doubt it.

Failign that could be faulty sender/connection which has been known.

Sparky

Member +
I very much doubt it is to do with the oil level tbh I have had the oil level lower in the car and the light has never came on.

Had a funny feeling it could be oil pressure, how can I check this?

and where is the switch located? Hopefully just a dodgy switch or something!

J

*JO*

mine had an oil pressure switch prob but my oil light stayed on didnt flicker xx

craigant

Member +
i get the exact same thing as this, its since i did an oil and filter change. what is your car idling at? mine only does it when i have the headlights on so thinking it could be the alternator. Ive turned the idle screw up but still idles the same when hot even though it idles alot higher when cold, so annoying as have to turn my headlights off and put sidelights on at night when stood at traffic lights to stop it flickering.

akaye4000

Member +
sounds the same problem i had when my oil level got a little low and went round a corner fast but it had been lower and never come on before, just depends how fast to drive:p

chinesemafia

Member +
well guy i have a similar problem where my oil light dont come on at all
ive changed the switch several times each time i do it works then goes back to the same thing what do you guys think?

Sparky

Member +
i get the exact same thing as this, its since i did an oil and filter change. what is your car idling at? mine only does it when i have the headlights on so thinking it could be the alternator. Ive turned the idle screw up but still idles the same when hot even though it idles alot higher when cold, so annoying as have to turn my headlights off and put sidelights on at night when stood at traffic lights to stop it flickering.

Sounds similar to mine, it idles fine around 850 then the fan kicks in and it drops to about 730 and seems like its struggling to keep running and thats when the oil light flickers. Doesnt seem as bad as yours though

Deffo nothing to do with the oil level guys its fine, almost full.

GTti

Member +
I think thats pretty normal on hot idle, what weight oil do you use?

Set the idle higher, I never liked the way it used idle so low anyway.

craigant

Member +
Sounds similar to mine, it idles fine around 850 then the fan kicks in and it drops to about 730 and seems like its struggling to keep running and thats when the oil light flickers. Doesnt seem as bad as yours though

Deffo nothing to do with the oil level guys its fine, almost full.

guess thats my problem the because my fan is on constantly so gonna wire it to a switch that should sort it

Sparky

Member +
I think thats pretty normal on hot idle, what weight oil do you use?

Set the idle higher, I never liked the way it used idle so low anyway.

Since owning the car all I have put in it is Millers Fully Synth 5w 40, really good stuff.

Hopefully its nothing to really worry about then

350ep70gr

Member +
When it's hot increase the idle so it's about 950, may solve your oil light fickering.

You should do some research and find out where the real problem exist (if) and not masking the problem by increasing the idle.:shoot:

You should search oil pump,oil presure valve,oil relief valve,wiring and if not something easy then maybe it is clearence involved.

Dont play with oil pressure and dont go with everyone opinion :slap: cause it is your engine and if it goes bang from low oil pressure and the payment come into you will be your own obviously.;)

Chris