Oil light stays on for a while

irish lad

Fresh Recruit
well lads, just wondering if someone(s) can answer a question for me, when i start my gt starlet (from cold) the oil light stays on for two or three minutes and then goes off. i've just changed the engine and gearbox oil but still stays on for a minute or two. What could be the issue? bearing gone in the engine? cheers, daithi.

dac69er

Super Moderator
what oil are you using and are you getting any knocking noises from the engine?

check the connection to the oil pressure sender too. if it is dirty the light can take a while to go out. if the engine sounds really sweet even when starting from cold try replacing the oil pressure sender. they are cheap and they can fail.

Murray

Member +
looks like your engine has excessive clearance untill they close up when the engine gets warm. Same goes to the oil pump.

The bearings dont grow.......... you are refering to the pistons:rolleyes:
Is the oil pump ok?Change this out soon as possible,I wouldnt be running my motor for two or three minutes with the oil light on

Murray

weeJohn

Lifer
It could be just a pressure relief valve problem. It has a ball bearing and a spring on it and as well as stopping oil pressure getting to high it also stops oil running out of the oil ways back into the sump.

There is also an o ring around the oil pick up pipe where it goes into the block that can cause oil pressure problems. These 2 things are eassy to change with the sump off so if the problem persists its not a big job to rectify them. I would have a look into it sooner rather than later as whatever the problem is it could get worse and cause a loss of pressure whilst driving, then you are in trouble.

In the meantime, when the engine is cold, you could either remove the king lead when injector plugs when starting from cold and turn the engine over until the light goes off, or give it 3 or 4 very short bursts of the starter to help pressure builkd before the engine fires.

tanvir

Fresh Recruit
It could be just a pressure relief valve problem. It has a ball bearing and a spring on it and as well as stopping oil pressure getting to high it also stops oil running out of the oil ways back into the sump.

There is also an o ring around the oil pick up pipe where it goes into the block that can cause oil pressure problems. These 2 things are eassy to change with the sump off so if the problem persists its not a big job to rectify them. I would have a look into it sooner rather than later as whatever the problem is it could get worse and cause a loss of pressure whilst driving, then you are in trouble.

In the meantime, when the engine is cold, you could either remove the king lead when injector plugs when starting from cold and turn the engine over until the light goes off, or give it 3 or 4 very short bursts of the starter to help pressure builkd before the engine fires.

I m having the same problem.But dont know where to locate these things for eg pressure relief valve with bearing and spring and the o ring around the oil pick up pipe, cant exactly find these things because i dont actually have very good ideas abt engines.i would be really kind if u help.thnx

dac69er

Super Moderator
you need to take the sump off to see those things. easiest thing to change and/or check is the oil pressure sender. its on the block to the right of where the turbo sits.

if that isnt your problem i would drop the sump off