oil light

Okay im having problems with my oil light coming on.

Engine hot or cold when i hard corner the oil light will come on then when driving on a straight after the corner disappear.

Then when the engine gets hot the oil light will flicker on or be constant on when the revs go below 1200. Any revs above this and it disappears.

Now i check the oil daily and its a okay.

Now at the moment my pcv valve broke and im awaiting a new one. Ive blocked it off could this be any fault of it?

Or is it low oil pressure. I also noticed when my crank pulley was off the woodriff key near the oil pump wasnt the best, is this anything that may contribute?

cheers

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
deffo pressure related by the sounds of it, although a gauge would be a good idea too to confirm this

possible causes include a worn out oil pump, stuck pressure relief valve or blocked/cracked pick up pipe.

either way it needs looking at, the oil light comes on around 9psi, that's 'kin low.

deffo pressure related by the sounds of it, although a gauge would be a good idea too to confirm this

possible causes include a worn out oil pump, stuck pressure relief valve or blocked/cracked pick up pipe.

either way it needs looking at, the oil light comes on around 9psi, that's 'kin low.

what are the ways in indicating a fubbered oil pump?

Would me blocking off the pcv valve be a cause? I will check all pipes.

Yeah light just seems to be below 1200 only when engine hot (run for 30 mins)

Fatman

Member +
Certainly sounds like the light/sender is working correctly. I'd be looking into an aftermarket gauge ASAP and probably taking it to somebody who knows what they're doing to pull down and inspect the oil pump. Be aware that this sort of oil pressure under any sort of load has likely resulted in a farked bottom end...

Certainly sounds like the light/sender is working correctly. I'd be looking into an aftermarket gauge ASAP and probably taking it to somebody who knows what they're doing to pull down and inspect the oil pump. Be aware that this sort of oil pressure under any sort of load has likely resulted in a farked bottom end...

Would love to buy second hand one but things are so tight financially wise. Where is the cheapest place to get one.

the car runs fine, pulls fine no knocks no nothing.

does it pretty much sound like a oil pump yeah.

this has only just occured say 3 weeks after i replaced the head gasket.

FeNder

Member +
i had those same symtpoms when my car ran low on oil , right hander the light comes on , straight line it disappears ,
i had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and it did confirm that right handers would push pressure to around 1.2 bar oil ! check it out

GTti

Member +
Just how hard are you cornering?

Are you sure you have enough oil in the engine?

This sounds like oil surge / starvation, you need a baffled sump to help the oil pump if you want to continue driving like a loon. May be exaggerated by a weak oil pump though.

Just how hard are you cornering?

Are you sure you have enough oil in the engine?

This sounds like oil surge / starvation, you need a baffled sump to help the oil pump if you want to continue driving like a loon.

I checked the oil and it is sitting bang on the middle. Im cornering hard but not like a loon to the point of dangerous.

The only thing that confuses me here is after the engine is hot below 1200 revs when driving or waiting at a junction it will flicker or be on constant.

scot-ish

Member +
just cos a cars stripped out and makes a bit of noise, dont mean its being driven like a loon lol, i never went over 30 in the toon in that wee car,

You're best off fitting a pressure gague to gain a real measurement and inspecting the pump ASAP.

cheers for your help.

Wheres the best place to get a cheap gauge.

Is there any other tell tale signs of the oil pump on the way out, like would it smoke/use oil more?

scot-ish

Member +
only really a drop in pressure mate,hence the light.. and then before you know it, its failed, and your bottom end is fucked.

GTti

Member +
Yes as above, pressure drop, assuming the OE sender is functioning then you I personally wouldn't risk driving it any more. The bottom end could give up at any time if it's being starved of oil.

So i would be really best and safe to buy a oil pump in good condition and have mine replaced.

Im thinking of more of the money aspect as to paying someone to strip it down and inspect it to stripping it down to fit a new one.

ryan_v

Lifer
When cornering the oil is goin to one side of the sump and isnt anywere near the pick up. A better baffled sump would help and keep the oil topped up.

Id also take the sump of and have a look at the pick up to see if its clogged with and gunk/dirt. A Friends engine wrecked the crank and a rod because of this!

Also check the wires goin to the sender and its always good to have a second gauge to be sure to be sure to be sure.

finx

Member +
So i would be really best and safe to buy a oil pump in good condition and have mine replaced.

Im thinking of more of the money aspect as to paying someone to strip it down and inspect it to stripping it down to fit a new one.

1st thing to do is get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and check what the actual pressure is. if it low then check out the oil pump and prob replace it. no point changing the oil pump if its not the issue