Oil pressure gauge - Help?

Gary91

Member +
I have fitted an oil pressure gauge and sender into the oil lines for my oil filter relocation kit but i dont think i have wired it correctly. there is a positive and negative for illumination which is wired to a switch, there is a wire from the sender to the gauge, the positive on the gauge is wired to ignition on the stereo harness and the negative to earth. when i turn on ignition, the needle goes right across the gauge to the maximum and even when i start the engine the needle stays at maximum. the needle only goes back to zero when i turn off ignition. any ideas whats wrong?

Rory

Lifer
Sounds like you have your positives mixed up?
If you have wired it to a switch, try turning it off and see what happens?

Gary91

Member +
Even when the switch is off, when i turn on ignition the needle goes to the maximum.
Has anybody else got electrical oil pressure gauges and how have you wired them?

Rory

Lifer
Whay have you wired it on a switch? Wire it into the light switch wire under the steering colum..

Something isnt right (obviously). If you take out the switch and wire the + and - into the same as the gauge what happens?

Gary91

Member +
i got the gauge tested on another vehicle today and turns out that the gauge is at fault. Don't matter because it was a cheap one from ebay. i'm going to buy a mechanical one as it will be easier and more accurate. Any recommendations?

weeJohn

Lifer
I wouldnt use a mechanical oil pressure sender, its to many connections in the oil system and also you will have hot oil in the cabin all then time.

dark_knight

Member +
i'm with weeJohn on this one. electronic oil pressure gauges are the way to go -- less likelihood for things to go wrong. imagine if you sprung a leak from one of those mechanical setups.. :)