Oil pressure?

terrygtturbo

Member +
After a hard run in the starlet when left to idle the oil light flickers on? Touch the throttle and it goes. Had new good grade oil a month ago and it's to the marks on the stick? Any ideas? Cheers!!

terrygtturbo

Member +
no lower than 1.5bar or 21psi on idol 9000rpm

Anoth thing... It idels at 900rph for 10 seconds or so then drops slightly and that's when it comes on? I did buy a oil guage with my boost guage but the adaptor wouldn't fit in the thread that's why it wasn't fitted,

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would check the connection on the sensor first, they can get crappy and you might get flickering. could also be some crap on the sensor if the oil is, or has been a bit shitty

when i first got my last GT the oil light stayed on all the time after changing the oil and cleaning the connector it was fine and has been ever since.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Would the low tickover make the oil light flicker? Wd the icv be nakered?

if you get flickering at low rpm then i would tend to say its the pump. increase your rpm and get the pump changed asap.

first check the sensor connection though as that doesnt cost you anything

Sigma

Member +
When my oil light used to flicker after a good drive on idle, it was the first sign of needing new big end bearings.

They were about £45 from my local engine shop for Duraglides, took about an hour to fit and cured the problem immediately.

I would also reccomend using a thicker oil in these older engines now. I use Silkoline 15W50 Pro-S.

This, would be my first step. :)

I think you'll find it'll cure your problem ;)

terrygtturbo

Member +
if you get flickering at low rpm then i would tend to say its the pump. increase your rpm and get the pump changed asap.

first check the sensor connection though as that doesnt cost you anything

I'm guessing there's a screw on the throttle body to increase tick over, and where's the pump located on these! Lol, on a real hard right corner the oil light will flash briefly aswell like it's low on oil but I keep it checked regular?