oil pump locatrion when looking in the engine bay.

jimmer

Member +
Hi folks, just got my motor on the road again today for the first time in 19 months, and she performed perfectly all day. Haven't been boosting at all untill i get her set up, but i noticed the oil light flicker on idle once i get home. Now i understand that is low oil pressure or the sensor. So i switched off and after haklf an hour i checked the oil pressure switch which i cleaned the contacts and put on again. Hoping the oil thickened a bit to start an check again, this time no light but i could hear a squeal start which sounded like it was from where i think the pump is, (behind the oil pressure switch) but just wanted to check. Ill not start her again untill i change the pump as im pretty sure its the pump thats going.

nutta

Member +
your oil pressure switch is at the fron of the block near the bottom left.

The oil pump is at the bottom part of the block on the cambelt side

lleey2k4

Member +
You wont see it just looking in the bay, it runs off the cambelt so its pretty much just behind the oil filter.

jimmer

Member +
or is it the oil pressure sensor i was checking? it was a slide on connection on the bottom right of the block when you look in from the front of the car lol.

What could the squeal beif it isn't the oil pump?

Fatman

Member +
Likely to be one of the other belts that run the alternator/water pump/power steering/air conditioning. If it's squealing, does it go away with a quick rev?

You didn't mention, but I assumed that you checked the oil level?

jimmer

Member +
yes indeedy, the oil is at the max level. The squeal doesn't sound like its coming from the cambelts, etc though.

weeJohn

Lifer
If its been sitting about it could be the water pump, its underneath the inlet mani on the drivers side of the engine, above the altenator.

If its squeeling it could be leaking as well, check for water dripping out of the pump onto the belt that goes around it and the altenator belt.