Oil related question?

Seanmcn

Member +
Is it ok to plum oil cooler lines from the return of the turbo throught the oill cooler then back into the sump?

I wont be using a thermostat because i am only using the car for racing.

And i went into Toyota to order a sump gasket and was told they dont have them and to just use sealer??
Is that right?

thanks

Rory

Lifer
1. What route it into the return, pointless excercise.

2. Running without a thermostat will damage you motor, run one. I run one on track and it cools fine.

3. Yes there right.

Seanmcn

Member +
How?

I meant take the hot oil coming out of the turbo passing it through a cooler and back to the sump?

Texx

Super Moderator
It wouldn't be a good idea to add a restriction into the turbo oil drain hose, the hot oil coming from the turbo needs to be allowed to drain out as quickly as possible to allow the cooler oil to flow in behind it. Installing an oil cooler in between the turbo and sump will likely cause oil pressure to backup into the turbo and possibly blow the seals. Ideally an oil cooler should be located between the oil pump and oil filter so oil pressure and temperature can be reliably maintained and monitored.

It's recommended a thermostat is used so the oil is brought up to temperature as quickly as possible and also to ensure the oil isn't excessively cooled off. Engine oil that is not up to temperature is no better than engine oil that has been heated too much, so the thermostat helps to balance it out.

The sump is sealed with a liquid gasket sealant. There are plenty of different brands to choose from, but whichever you choose to use make sure both the sump and block matting faces are cleaned up and free from any grease or oil and then follow the supplied instructions to the letter.