opinions on plug leads help rep'd

Fro

Member +
I'm in the same boat, the only aftermarket ones I can find are magnecore, and doing a search on here, I can't find any positive comments on them! I'm running the red ones ATM and wonder if it's worth keeping them since they haven't have me trouble!

pig666eon

Member +
seen a couple of horror stories on here about them mags wouldnt touch em

ngk, splitfire, trd, ultra are prob the best you can get if you can get your hands on them should be in or around the same price as the mags

Nippon

Member +
Ive got the red magnecors (8.5mm i think) and they have been perfect.
had themm on the car for 4 years plus and they havent missed a beat.
Even when after i pulled the connection off of the king lead and put it back on they still work perfect. Lol.

Rob H

Member +
Every tuner I have spoke to has said stick with stock ones from Toyota there is no gain at all on the dyno using aftermarket ones they just look pretty I was going to stay stock but went coil on plug instead problem solved lol

pig666eon

Member +
it has nothing to with power making and you wont gain power from the leads, what they are used for is to deliver the best power to the spark plugs. the better the material used for conducting electricity the better the spark will be

when running higher boost what happens is the force of the air makes it harder for the spark plug to make a proper spark, the better conducting leads you have the less power drop your going to have resulting in a better spark esp at higher rpm

coil on is just a way of making sure the spark plug s getting no drops in power due to leads and also obviously the indv coils make each spark exact using 4 rather than just the one

Paul_JJ

Member +
Apparently the TRD makes very good leads and they're cheaper than the OEM Toyota. Also you can get the Blue Print leads as well, which have 3 years warranty -) I personally have magnecor but the reason I bought them was the colour, performance wise I didn't notice any difference compared to the Blue Print or the OEM Toyota.

Rob H

Member +
Well we had a civic running over 2.0bar of boost and nos on the dyno last week running oem leads and that had no problems that was good enough to convince me!

dac69er

Super Moderator
Well we had a civic running over 2.0bar of boost and nos on the dyno last week running oem leads and that had no problems that was good enough to convince me!

Oem leads are very good, but often 20 year old leads just won't cut it. "Performance" leads are often cheaper as a replacement than a set of new oem leads :)

Rev

Member +
I use Top Gun leads from Australia max4494C clip type ( 300 deg C ) for 5efhe motor so fits 4efte. interesting the high temp ones are only 5mm so thicker isnt necessarily better performance as said above depends on the material used..... I have been very happy with these but even so I checked the resistance at different frequencies of each lead with a multimeter as mistakes in quality do occur I wanted to eliminate that as a possibility.

Last edited: