Other gearbox's

cooz93

Member +
Hi guys was wondering what other gear boxes i could use in my ep91? like the sportif or the ep82 box? any advice, cheers

Fatman

Member +
C140, C150, C52, C56, C160 (6 speed) are the gearboxes that are available with an E series (e.g 4e/5e) bellhousing bolt pattern. C140/150/160 have considerably smaller gears and are substantially weaker. The turbo motor will blow them to pieces with spirited driving (or even just normally sometimes)

C52's are in lots of toyotas, but for our purposes are usually in EP82's, C56's are from the Glanza's. There are other C52/C56's from Corolla's etc that share all the same gear ratios but have a shorter final drive, these can be adapted into a starlet if you're keen.

Why do you want to know?

cooz93

Member +
Cheers guy. Looks like you know your stuff Fatman! Needing to source a new gearbox as my synchros are going, and wanted to see where i could get one from:)

Fatman

Member +
Wouldn't mind a 6th gear in my Glanza, it needs one!

If it had the power it would do 167 mph or 270km/h, how much faster would you like to go :p

It's also got the cruisiest (e.g lowest revving) 5th gear of ANY of the toyota C series gearboxes. The 6th gear in the C160 revs higher at cruise.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
just out of curiosity, what revs in 5th gear say at 70mph are people reading??
the 5 sped box on my glanza in used to it and like it, nice length to the gears.