Overboosting!!

milooo

Member +
Hi guys,

just fitted my HKS Actuator, decat, inlet manifold today...i let it run idol for a while then took it around the block to see how it was performing....i noticed how boost comes in at 5k revs but it creeps past 1 bar.....i measured my actuator to sit in 128mm to perform .5 boost and 7 1/2 psi....but this doesnt seem to show...

please could you help as i dont want my ct9 blowing up...

if i upload pictures of my actuator set up would this be easier for you guys to see what the problem is?

Thanks, milo

Fro

Member +
I wouldnt use measurements as gospel, try adjusting the arm on your actuator and see how you get on. Make the arm longer to decrease boost and shorter to increase boost

Mark-ep91

Member +
yeah just shorten the arm usually when u bolt the actuator on and then adjust the arm to fit on the wastegate arm when its adjusted to just fit its .5 bar!
u shouldnt have to force the arm on etc heres the link if u didnt see it

http://www.tercelreference.com/articles/hks_actuator_installation/hks_actuator_installation.html

also if ur still having the problem and u have it setup right check ur turbo to actuator vacuum pipe if its slit or not on proerly it will cause the car to over boost mate!

milooo

Member +
Thanks guys great help! But one quick question...the pipe from the N75 valve does this this go the turbo housing or actuator....and does the little orange restrictor need to be fitted because I left mine to the side...if so, where? Cheers guys!!

dark_knight

Member +
@Fro: x2.
milooo, if you change any components in your setup, be ready to tinker around a little. engine setups differ greatly so out-of-the-box devices like the new hks actuator you got may not work as gospel truth with the defined measurement settings given. they are more or less just guides. try experimenting with different actuator arm lengths and see what works best for you. that will be a lot of laps around the block though.. :D

milooo

Member +
@Fro: x2.
milooo, if you change any components in your setup, be ready to tinker around a little. engine setups differ greatly so out-of-the-box devices like the new hks actuator you got may not work as gospel truth with the defined measurement settings given. they are more or less just guides. try experimenting with different actuator arm lengths and see what works best for you. that will be a lot of laps around the block though.. :D

Ahhh, haha cheers fella that was interesting.... Wondered why I creeping 1.2 bar when I'm looking for .5.... I'll give it a bash tomorrow...I must say though really does pull well at so much boost!

Fro

Member +
Bolt your actuator to the turbo and with the wastegate closed shorten the actuator arm so you have to stretch it a tiny bit to connect it to the wastegate arm and you shouldn't be far off. Best to do this first thing when the engine is cold :haha:

What's the n75 valve!?

Stulet-GTT

Member +
If ya still having prob's pop over to allen jeffery's engine tuner, he loves the little starlet's an will give you some good advice...

milooo

Member +
there should be a hose attached to your accuator if not you will get max boost ..this is not good!!!

Yeah I'm getting Max boost, I noticed how my standard actuator had 2 small pipes whereas this obviously has only one...I bolted the actuator to the turbo ignored the T piece and restrictor and just put vacuum pipe on it...it seems a right mess at the moment, I would appreciate it if someone could upload a clear picture Of their actuator set up and where the vacuum hoses go...this would be awesome help guys!

Mark-ep91

Member +
actuator pipe should be like this mate
IMG_0632.jpg

did u try take the arm off the clip and adjust it so it sits perfect on and off the wastegate arm where it clips on???
also did u check to vacuum pipe for splits? and get up a pic if u can if none of the info sorts the problem :)

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
@Mark-ep91: this looks about right, i'm curious though, how come on the stock actuator, there is a second nipple that when followed, plumbs back into the air intake feed but not on most of the aftermarket actuators..?

milooo

Member +
actuator pipe should be like this mate
IMG_0632.jpg

did u try take the arm off the clip and adjust it so it sits perfect on and off the wastegate arm where it clips on???
also did u check to vacuum pipe for splits? and get up a pic if u can if none of the info sorts the problem :)

Ahhhhhh, this is where im going wrong.....i had my vacuum pipe in the totally wrong place..its not even going to the turbo...i feel like such a fool now lol...so even though this is how it should sit..is only 1 hose needed for the actuator to perform?

Thanks alot matey, this has really helped :)

milooo

Member +
okay, so i put the pipe from actuator straight to turbo today and unplugged the vacuum hose to solenoid...does this mean i control boost through the use of the twisty arm on the actuator itself?

boost comes in at about 5k revs and shoots right up...

could this be a matter of getting my fpr set up?

it all seems a bit too much to handle at the moment.

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Somethings not right mate, u should be getting boost from around 1800-2000rpm and full boost just before 3000rpm... 5k is way to late. As said above, make sure when u fit the actuator the arm reaches just short of the wastegate lever, so that it requires you to slightly pull the arm out in order for you to clip on to the wastegate lever. THERE MUST BE TENSION ON THE WASTEGATE TO HOLD IT SHUT, i think urs must be lying open slightly if u r not getting boost till 5k. And making sure your silicon hose goes straight from the actuator to the intake side of the turbo, this will give you minimum boost, then it is trial and error until you find the boost you want. Shortening the arm will create more boost.

dark_knight

Member +
pilgrim_fgau is right. you seem to be having some major boost leak issues, an improperly setup actuator or both!. can you get some pix and further explanations up..

milooo

Member +
thanks sooo much guys! i realised that the wastegate had too much opening, took it to alan jeffreys had it all set up and its running 172.9hp on the ct9, not too bad hehe :D